25-06 Sierra GameKing 117gr. for deer?

p5200

Does this bullet make a decent round for Whitetail Deer? Other better suggestions are welcomed. I will be using a Tikka T3 Lite rifle not sure of the twist rate though. Thanks!
smile.gif

That is an excellent choice!! and I have used them. However, in my tikka .25-06, I shoot 110 accubonds over h4350 these days.

There may be a better bullet out there but it would hard to prove, killed a bunch of deer with it in my 700 Rem. with IMR 4831 and also IMR 7828.

GREAT BULLET.

For typical broadside shots, there (IMO) is not a better bullet. Whether your in the ribs or in the shoulder it gets the job done quick and makes a mess. I've had less runoff's with that combo than anything else I've shot. Great bullet but a tad soft.

If for any ungodly reason you need to shoot lengthways through a deer, there are better bullets. For even decent shot angles, be hard to beat!

I have killed a bunch of deer with that bullet out of my 25/06. Always perform well and it shoots bug holes from mine.

This bullet is awesome for deer I don't reload so don't have a powder to match it with but the ones federal premium loads shoot dime groups at 100 yards out of both my 25-06 ( ones a ruger other is a Howa). Usually 200 yards and under no exit wound jacket can be found just inside the skin on the opposite side shooting broadside behind the front shoulder. Only shot two past 200 and both were around 250 and had exit wounds with both.

I seem to find sierra game kings and pro hunters, for that matter, usually shoot very well and perform well on game.

I don’t have a 25-06, but I do use 100 gr Pro Hunter in 243 and it works rather well.

I like the 140 gr GK in my 7mm Rem Mag. It is a great deer load right at 3000 fps!

im gonna go with the barnes 100 for deer for the simple reason that if the game doesnt go down where you can see it i was some blood to follow.

My dads deer shot last year with a 100 gr pro hunter left a HUGE blood trail. It was a 200# buck, nice and rutted up. Not saying the TSX wont do that though.

117g Sierra is awesome in a 25/06 with Win brass, Federal 215's, and a max load of R#25 which will be pushing the 117 at 3200+ with blistering accuracy.

Also, the 120g Hornady HP is the toughest cup and core bullet out there in my experience.

Of all the partitions that I have fired in different calibers, the 100g 25 caliber partition is the most accurate of any partiton giving less than 1/2" groups at 3300 fps with a max load of IMR 4350 and a win primer.

I have also had fantastic luck with a 100g Hornady Flat base and 100g Speer BTSP.

Worst luck I have had was with a 110g Nosler ACcubond...tough bullet....sold them all.

If you guys have not tried it, R#19 and R#25 will blow away the velocities that are typical with IMR 4350 and the 4831's with fantastic accuracy, use Win primer or Fed 215's especially with the R#25.

The Sierra SGK HPBT in 100 and 120gr are a tougher bullet than the 117gr Spitzer SGK. I believe you will be better served with them.

If it were me, I'd try the 110gr Nosler Accubond or the 120gr Nosler Partition or the 120gr Speer Grand Slam. Whichever shoots best wins.

Back