Roosting turkeys - How late is too late?

264junkie

I'm curious with peoples experiences with how late a bird will gobble from the roost? I've had good luck with a coyote howler up until it's almost too dark to see but I'm wondering if it's possible to get them to gobble after dark?
The reason I'm asking...You only have so much time after fly up to check your spots...If you check 2 or 3 with no luck you're about out of daylight if you want to check another couple.
Anyone ever try it AFTER dark?

Thanks,
Junkie

For me, how well roosting works depends on the area. I hunt several different states & roosting varies from one place to another. Works great in some places & isn't worth the effort in others. I hunt one state in particular where roosting works well for a couple hours or more after black dark. When hunting there, we will hunt all day then ride around for a couple of hours after dark finding more turkeys for the next days hunt. On the other hand, around the house I don't even fool with roosting because they rarely gobble in the evening here.

Thanks! I hunt a couple different states and have always stopped at black dark but I guess it's worth a try in both.
thumbup1.gif

I have never really tried to locate any past dark, but one time I was camping while turkey hunting and didnt realize I was only 150 yards away from a roost. I heard him gobbling after he flew up. Every time I made a loud enough noise where he could hear, he gobbled. He did that until about 9:30. So, it might be worth a try?

I generally get them to gobble on the roost up until dark. Once the light is completely faded I don't get them to respond well.

I killed a gobbler 3 years ago that gobbled at a coyote howling at least 30 mins before the sun even cracked. I had plenty of time to get set up on him and take a nap before he could even hope to see me. If it will happen in the morning then Im sure it will happen in the evening.

I was hog hunting one night with no action so I decided to talk to the coyotes with my howler and I had a turkey shock gobble at 11:30 PM. And actually you will find it hard to believe but I'm hog hunting with my night vision one night and I see a group of what I thought was a bunch of shoats so I am sneaking up on them until I get close enough with the nv to actually make out what they are and it is a group of hens walking through a field feeding at about 9:30. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen, not many people believe it.

Back