Hot weather hunting pants that won't get shredded by briars?

wahoowad

I need some new hot weather hunting pants that won't get shredded by briars. I like the ripstop material on military BDUs but military BDUs are too baggy and don't fit me well. I've seen highly breathable camo pants at stores but they look like they would shred to pieces walking through the briars and woods I am in.

Also need a new pair of non-insulated boots that do not retain heat/moisture. I like how my combat boots have the mesh material - they stay cool. But the soles are not very rubbery and quiet. Want a mid-height boot with quiet soles and breathes.

Wahoowad, I don't know if they still make them, but my stepdad was a bird hunter and he used to have a pair of light weight bibs (similar to Carharts) that were impervious to briars and didn't pick up stick tights either...

As an alternative, you might see about getting an alteration shop to 'take up' the BDUs so they fit better..

When I was an active LEO, we had Rocky boots that were not insulated and they were quiet for general use...We didn't need to announce our presence at times either...You might pull up some Police Supply websites to find some to your liking...

I do pretty good with my Carhartt pants. They hold up pretty good even with busting through mesquite and catclaw out here in the desert.
Nowadays, there are lots of really comfortable hot weather uniform/tactical boots to be had. Danner, Oakley, and Lowa come to mind. One of the few upsides to us fighting two wars in the desert and mountains.

Dan’s Hunting Gear is what you are looking for. Their pants and bibs come with 420 Denier nylon with 1000 Denier Cordura fronts extending to the knees in the back. Features include leg zippers, zipper fly, 4 deep pockets, and rivets on all stress points.

Not cheap but tough and will last you a while. I’ve had mine for years, snake proof, brair proof, waterproof and will even turn barbed wire out (away). Absolutely love them in the summer for busting brush (briar, snakes, etc) chasing hounds but will make you sweat in the summer, keep you clean and dry (slip bibs over clothes) in the winter.

They also make snake chaps, hip waders, gloves, etc made for hunters by hunters

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'm looking for pants, not bibs, and something in a single layer of cotton or blend. My current pair of ripstop cotton pants do well enough with briars and not too hot. I worry the bibs and pants with reinforced areas will be too hot for the 90+ degree days I end up hunting. I bought a perfect pair from Gander Mountain about 3 years ago but I was on a road trip and do not live close to one to go back and see if they still carry them. I don't see them on the website either. I think they were fairly cheap but have no model # on any tags.

For hot weather hunting I buy COTTON plain front khaki's at the resale shop or a local discounter. They run from $2 to $10, are very comfortable, last most of the season and I don't feel bad about tossing them. I do have a pair of lightweight breathable chaps if it is wet orit starts out frosty in the morn and and is going to warm up fast. Up on the northern tier of states it can start in the 20's in the morning and be in the 70's by noon.

Last edited:
I use my upland bird pants, they are covered in rip stop to the crotch and I have yet to shred them in heavy briar or thick shrubbery. Cost was under $40 at wallyworlds. They have them seasonally only.

Originally Posted By: KayEhmAny type of snake proof clothing will stand up just fine to any type of thorns or razor-sharp terrain. Snake boots, snake proof pants, chaps and gaiters.. all will suit you quite well.

I've worn Cabelas brand no lace snake boots all summer and have been about as comfortable as one could be in them. They broke in easy and were good for navigating slopes and uneven terrain as well. I was a little embarrassed the first few times out with my pants tucked in like an equestrian rider but I got over it.

Last edited:
check out the ultra lite clothes by "10x" (it is ripstp) that is sold at "midwest turkey call supply". I bought pants & shirt 2yr ago to spring gobbler hunt in. When they got here I thought "no way this can be cool"--I was WRONG.
Next day I ordered another set because I have found that when I really like something they will probably quit making it such as the lacrosse "hudson" boot. The only down side is that they don't protect my legs from briars at all, but after traipsing these PA hills for 64 yrs I am used to getting scratched.

North Face Paramount Peak II pants. A lot tuffer than you'd expect. I've busted through some serious brush without issue, not thorns, but plenty of manzanita and brush oak and nasty thick brush without a single rip or tear.

Back