Washing new camo clothing

marchboom

Many camo clothing manufacturers recommend Sport Wash as a detergent for their clothing to eliminate the UV factor and odors.

Should NEW clothing be washed before using the first time? I'm guessing YES.

Thanks

I do but I don't have any real facts behind why. I just think that camo looks better after it has been washed several times and worn a lot.

Sport wash is just a detergent with no optical brighteners. We can't wash our uniforms in anything with brighteners because we will show up like light bulbs under infrared if we do.

Just get a free and clear detergent and read the back. It will say if it has OB or not. I usually just throw some baking soda in there to kill that "new" smell.

Originally Posted By: HPWI just think that camo looks better after it has been washed several times and worn a lot.

exactly what/where are you hunting?

sorry, I could not resist..

I can understand getting the stiffness out of the fabric for initial wear comfort, but I'm not too fashion conscious about walking around in the woods - heck I'm not too fashion-conscious about walkin around in public.
grin.gif

I keep the washings to a bare minimum. Nine months out of the year I keep them heavily treated with Permithine to ward off the lyme-carryin deer ticks and don't want to wash it off. But I bite the bullet when they get musty from my summer sweat sessions.

In the winter when I hardly sweat I don't wash them at all. Unless I fall in a mud-puddle, the pants never get washed.

I don't buy into the scent-free, scent elimination products. Many manufacturers recommend related products, some even make them too.
wink.gif

The wind can be your best friend or worst enemy - nothing will ever change that.

Originally Posted By: marchboomMany camo clothing manufacturers recommend Sport Wash as a detergent for their clothing to eliminate the UV factor Thanks

I find the UV protection for cammo even more interesting than the scent-control feature of these Sport washes.

I'd like to ask the manufacturer's rep two questions:

1) If my Cammo never fades, does that mean I should steer clear of half-dead vegetation and fallen leaves?

2) If I only hunt at night, do you have a product that protects against the MOONBEAM factor?

I hunt 3-5 days a week. I've tried just about everything but found all I really need to do is turn them inside out and wash them like any regular laundry load. No special soap or anything. Just wash them like normal. In fact, I wash my camo clothing with other non hunting clothes all the time. I turn them inside out cause they wont fade as fast if you do so. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI hunt 3-5 days a week. I've tried just about everything but found all I really need to do is turn them inside out and wash them like any regular laundry load. No special soap or anything. Just wash them like normal. In fact, I wash my camo clothing with other non hunting clothes all the time. I turn them inside out cause they wont fade as fast if you do so. Good luck.

That's a good idea. I've had several long sleeve Tees and even some pants all in Mossy Oak Brush fade to the point where I stood out like a sore thumb in the sage. Had to relegate them to work in the yard clothes. Thanks.

I'm a little like Tom in the fact I like to make them last longer....I line dry my clothes. It seem the camo wont fade and wear out as fast if I line dry them. Brent

Also, some camo is a little rough without being washed, an can make a noise tht does not sound natural when u rub up against something. After its broke in, it gets real soft an quiet. I also wash it in scent free detergent, but mostly I put on a light pair of pants, a t shirt, and my leafy suit
laugh.gif
. It's hot about 10 months out of the year down.

Haha well i think I would die if it snowed more than once every 3 years down here. Or throw in a little battery acid and u have realistic 3D camo!!!

I wash mine with some thin slices cut off a hand soap bar. Came up with that when thinking about my grandmother washing cloths in her old washer with wringer. She washed every thing with thin slices of fels naptha bar soap.

I have tested with uv lights and found that using a regular soap with brighteners does make them show up more. Not sure how coyotes see see UV though.

Back