Housecat "Sniper" Sought in New Mexico

Crimson Raptor

According to today's media, an unknown person who illegally shoots a cat within the city limits is now called a "sniper". Wow. Nothing like a "scary" headline to make people like me look.
laugh.gif

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/28/3800302/nm-police-look-for-sniper-who.html#disqus_thread

NM officials look for sniper who killed cat
By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN
Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Someone shot and killed a neighborhood cat that was sitting on the porch of a house, leaving residents of the quiet part of northeast Albuquerque on edge and city animal welfare officials looking for clues as to who might be responsible.

The black and white cat, named Pris, was brought to the city's animal welfare department by a resident after being found dead Monday night. City spokesman Chris Ramirez said X-rays showed a bullet lodged near the cat's ribs.

The case was referred to Albuquerque police and the animal's body was sent to the state veterinary laboratory for a necropsy. City officials were still waiting for the results Thursday, but they hoped the caliber of the bullet and other details might be gleaned from the tests so they could determine whether to move forward with an investigation.

"The reason we take this so serious is because if somebody were caught, they could face extreme cruelty to animal charges and it is against the law to shoot a firearm within city limits," Ramirez said. "Those are two crimes that are both felonies that we think are pretty serious."

While the sniping of the cat appears to be an isolated shooting, neighbors who were fond of the cat are not taking it lightly.

Margaret Schulte said she and her next-door neighbor had cared for Pris since he was a kitten. They initially thought it was a female cat - and named it Prissy - but a neutering trip to a local veterinarian determined otherwise. The name, Pris for short, still stuck.

Schulte said her neighbor went out Monday night and was looking over her garden when she saw the cat lying there dead. He frequented the space between the two houses and often sat on adjacent porches and patios.

"It was near her porch and our back door. What if they had missed the cat and hit our house?" asked Schulte, who has lived in the otherwise quiet neighborhood with other retirees and families for the past six years.

"Some people are saying we shouldn't make such a fuss over a cat, but that's not the object," she said. "There's somebody in the area with a gun and they could shoot a child. That's what we're worried about, the safety of the children in the neighborhood."

City officials said they weren't aware of any similar cases in at least the last two years.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleIt's a good thing that is wasn't one that prowls Momma Turtle's flower beds, or I'm have a suspect in mind...
w00t.gif

grin.gif
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: catwhackerOMG. I could go to prison for 800 years!!!

A felony - WOW

Congratulations, whacker. You are hereby dubbed a "sniper". LOL

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor

The case was referred to Albuquerque police and the animal's body was sent to the state veterinary laboratory for a necropsy. City officials were still waiting for the results Thursday, but they hoped the caliber of the bullet and other details might be gleaned from the tests so they could determine whether to move forward with an investigation.

these are your tax dollars at work. all for a [beeep] cat
mad.gif

Last edited:
Dang they wouldn't have liked Frito! Local deputy told him, he didn't mind him shootin the stray cats out of his garbage can in the local trailer court at 2 in the morning, just don't use the .270 next time!! It excited a few of the neighbors a wee bit.
lol.gif

I guess I fail to see the humor in using someones house as your back drop to shoot a cat. Big waste of tax dollars to investigate this. The police have much better things that they should be doing than investigating the reckless discharge of a firearm in a residential neighborhood. I am sure no one here would have any problem at all with some whack job shooting in their neighborhood. The kids probably won't get hit...

Anyone notice the reference made that the government is worried that the "gunman" could shoot children? Seems like a huge leap to me to go from pet extermination to child murderer.

"Anyone notice the reference made that the government is worried that the "gunman" could shoot children? Seems like a huge leap to me to go from pet extermination to child murderer."

Nope, I didn't notice that reference because it doesn't exist in the article. No one from the "government" is quoted saying that and no one refers to a "gunman". The part you are referring to is a quote from Margaret Schulte, a neighbor..."Some people are saying we shouldn't make such a fuss over a cat, but that's not the object," she said. "There's somebody in the area with a gun and they could shoot a child. That's what we're worried about, the safety of the children in the neighborhood." The stated concern being that a child could be shot if someone is recklessly discharging a firearm in the neighborhood.

The only leaps being taken are the ones pointing to quotes by government officals that don't exist and misrepresenting the intent of the actual quote.

Yes, discharging firearms in a neighborhood is wrong. That's why I use a conibear in a cubby set. Cats should be indoor pets.

Originally Posted By: KarlYes, discharging firearms in a neighborhood is wrong. That's why I use a conibear in a cubby set. Cats should be indoor pets.

+1
keep YOUR animals on YOUR property and you will have no problems with me.

As the OP and based on some of the responses, I'd like to restate the humor that I found in the story was not related to:

a) the illegal discharge of a firearm
b) unsafe use of a firearm in a populated area
c) killing a domesticated animal.

My interest and humor was due to the fact that said illegal cat shooter was classified a "sniper" by editor of the article. Sheesh.

Back