Another ND PD Hunt on 7-28-2011--Photos

Silverfox

Once again, the weather forecasters missed the actual weather by a little bit for the morning of July 28, 2011. It was supposed to be another blue sky day and when I left Williston around 7:20 a.m. it was very cloudy and it the further I drove to the south the more ominous the clouds became. The sun did come out around 10:30 and it warmed up to nearly 80 degrees in the afternoon. One thing they did get right was that the winds were fairly calm, blowing at 2 to 8 mph most of the day. I had my test loads and targets for my Savage target action .204 Ruger and for my Predator action .17 Remington along like I did on July 14. I arrived at my destination around 8:35 a.m. and discovered that the grass was so high where I was that I set my pickup so I could shoot down the wheel track. I had to hand pick grass along the path from the rifle barrel to the target to make sure blades of grass and seed heads didn’t deflect the bullet. Ahh, the things I won’t do to test my loads!!!

By about 9:15 a.m. I had my target boxes set up at 100 yards and also set my chronograph up for this test session too. I tested four loads for the .17 Remington using hBN coated 29 gr. FBHP VLD Genco bullets and three loads using hBN coated 39 gr. Sierra Blitz King bullets for the Savage target action. I was somewhat sure of which load would be best for each rifle after the testing I did on July 14, and those are the loads that proved to be the best today. I used powder from the new lot of IMR 8208 XBR for both of those rifles.

I also had my Tikka Master Sporter in .22-250 along and wanted to get the scope adjusted for the 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets that so that now shoots where Im aiming. I use a load of 38.4 gr. of Varget, CCI 200 primers and WW casings. That load gives me a muzzle velocity that is just a shade under 4,000 fps.

Since I was going to shoot my new/used Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger on prairie dogs today and I had cleaned the barrel and used the Tannel Graphoil treatment in it, I shot a few shots with my 40 gr. V-Max loads down the barrel to check the point of impact on that one too. With the fouling shots, test loads shots, and POI checking shots I had fired about 50 rounds before I was done.

I finished shooting the test loads and POI shots and gathered up my target boxes and put the chronograph away and stopped for lunch at 1:15 p.m. That load testing takes a lot of time. I usually wait between two to three minutes between shots so the barrels don’t heat up. Also, there were several times that the bullets hit the black lines on my targets and that prevented me from seeing where the bullet hit. I record, on special target report sheets, the velocity and where each bullet hits the target. When I couldn’t see the bullet hole, I walked down to the target, located the hole and recorded the position and walked back to my makeshift shooting bench on the tailgate of my pickup.

At 1:56 p.m., I finally got started after prairie dogs with my new/used Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I use the 40 gr. V-Max bullets coated with hBN and a load of 27.2 gr. of H4895 which is fired up with Remington 7½ primers out of WW casings. (REMEMBER: This load is safe in my rifle, BUT you need to work up to this load in small charge weight increments!) This load gives me an average muzzle velocity of 3,840 fps.

There were not many prairie dogs to shoot at in this town. I stopped for a drink of water and some trail mix at 3:06 p.m. and had only taken 8 shots. I managed to get one double and all the rest of the shots were single prairie dogs. I decided to go back to my pickup and head out to a different prairie dog town. I spotted one more prairie dog to shoot on my walk back to the pickup and blasted that one. By 3:30 I was headed out of there for a dog town a rancher had told me about a few weeks ago.

Looking at the PD town from the road didn’t leave me with any tingling excitement. There appeared to be yellow clover growing up to about my chest and crested wheatgrass almost the same height. You could see isolated areas where the PDs had been keeping the grass fairly low, but it didn’t appear like there would be lots of wide-open areas that would give me decent shooting lanes. Since this dog town is on federal land, I parked my pickup on the established trail on the north end of the dog town and walked south toward the mounds I had viewed from the road. I managed to find a spot where I could see good enough to shoot one prairie dog. Before I took that shot I discovered that I had left my elbow pads back at the pickup. I spotted another prairie dog to shoot and bagged that one. After grinding my elbows into the dirt on those two shots, I decided to walk back to the pickup and get my elbow pads.

The shooting was real slow. I spotted another prairie dog and found a mound to shoot from and bagged that one too. Then I looked to the left side of the mound and found some bugs dining on fresh PD poop and I am going to share that delicious sight with you here:

Poopeatingbugs-2--small.jpg

Some of you may know where this dog town is located when you see this next photo. The windmill in the picture is the Dodge Windmill. Now all of you should be able to figure out where this dog town is located. It is only about 1 mile east of the Montana border. If you look carefully you can see two PDs in the photo. One is just left of the windmill just beyond the tall grass and the other is off to the left side of the photo--both are standing at attention and when I lay down on the tallest PD mound to try to shoot them, they were well below the grass line so there was no chance for a shot. Even shooting sticks wouldn't have been much help.

Windmill--small.jpg

As most of you know, my stories are usually not complete without the old Hero Photo, so here’s the obligatory picture. There is a dead prairie dog just in front of my left knee:

HeroPhoto--small.jpg

While I didn’t get to shoot very many prairie dogs, I was able to pinpoint the loads I will use for my Savage target action .204 Ruger and my Predator action .17 Remington, plus I got to travel through some new country. Like they say, “A day of hunting beats a day of work anytime of the year.”

Originally Posted By: Silverfox“A day of hunting beats a day of work anytime of the year.”

Amen, brother! Yerning for another pd hunt but, alas, not this year....

Great story my friend. Thanks for sharing, and by the looks of those pictures, you must be using a pretty nice camera as well.

MoFire

mofireman--The camera is a Panasonic DMC FZ8 with a 12x optical zoom and 4x digital. The lens is a 36-432 35mm equivalent. It has lots of bells and whistles that I don't even know how to use, but it does take fairly decent photos.

Back