Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 or Weaver 4-20X50 Super Slam

The Virginian

It's going on a .243 long range fox/deer rifle. I've had very good luck with Weaver/Nitrex, I've never tried a Bushnell Elite 4200.

Both are comparably priced after the rebate.

Weaver specs here

Bushnell specs here

I had one of the Bushnell's. It was a decent scope. Nothing special. But worth the money. However I got rid of mine. I had it on a 223 Encore barrel and the scope was huge. Very heavy, and extremely long. It looked as long as the barrel. Pretty much an unsightly and heavy thing. Tom.

Not sure what you mean by "long range" but Bushnells are notorious for having very little "come ups". That one being no exception. 26" sure ain't much for a long range scope, which it is not.

Just for comparison, a Leupy VX2 6-18x40 has 55. A VX3 6.5-20x40 has 90.....

My personal long range scopes:

Mark 4 16x40 = 140moa elevation. Add a 20moa base and you can shoot into the next zip code.

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 has 110. Good for 130 with the base.

My NF NXS 8-32x56 has 65. Good for 85 with the base.

As you can see, the Bushnell is hardly a long range scope.

For hunting, I would happily run a Weaver V16 (4-16x42 AO)over either. It has 42". And a proven "track", or should I say "tracking" record........

Ken & Hogghead,

Thank you for the replies. It's going on a Savage 11FCNS 243 Win 22". Regarding long range (don't laugh) I was referring to 300 - 500 yard shots. Some on groundhogs, thus the higher magnification.

I'm glad I asked because I didn't catch the MOA adjustments range. I've never spun dials to shoot and I'm learning as I go. A self confessed n00b, if you will.

If I went with the V16, should I look for a specific reticle? Dual-X, fine crosshair, fine crosshair/dot?

Last question, what base/rail should I look for to mount this scope.

Thank you for your time.

Eric

Any quality 20moa base would be good. I've used cheaper ones like EGW to pricey ones like Badger, and they all work. For a heavy duty tactical type rifle, the pricier ones are stronger. For a general use hunting rifle, an EGW or TPS will do fine.

I have used every type of Weaver reticle you mention. My T36 sports a 1/8 dot. It is mainly for shooting eggs, and small targets.

As for the duplexes, I guess just figure out what you will be shooting at. Standard works better for coyotes and bigger, and in low light. Fine doesn't show up as well in low light, but covers less of the target.....

I wish you had not posted the link to the Weaver.I want one now and had not wanted one till I got to looking at that link.I was looking at the 3x15 EBZ ret and for the price I need to get one and buy another rifle to put it on.Remember when you post you are enabling the addicts that read this site. Ha

Sorry about that tnshootist!
tongue_smilie.gif

I did a little work in and around Spotsylvania one time.Really pretty country all around there.The forest is really pretty also and lots of history,nice place.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI did a little work in and around Spotsylvania one time.Really pretty country all around there.The forest is really pretty also and lots of history,nice place.

My wife and I built our retirement home here on Lake Anna. We hope to take our last breath here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI had one of the Bushnell's. It was a decent scope. Nothing special. But worth the money. However I got rid of mine. I had it on a 223 Encore barrel and the scope was huge. Very heavy, and extremely long. It looked as long as the barrel. Pretty much an unsightly and heavy thing. Tom.
the bushnell is 20 oz., the weaver is 24. i have several the are clear and light. this one does not have side focus though the weaver does.

The 4200's are nice scopes. I have no complaints about my 3-9, which is on my AR that I coyote hunt with. I just bought one of the tactical elites 4-16 that midway had on clearance. I know they don't have much elevation, but I figured it would get me in to longer range with a 20moa base, and has turrets to learn to dope. It will work until I can afford a Nightforce, haha.

Back