6.5 Vs. .243

yotehunter243

i have always grew up shooting the 243 at yote and am in the process of buying a new tikke T3 Light. I have been wanting a 6.5 in either the 260 Rem. or a 6.5 Creedmore. I know Tikka doesnt have the Creedmore but Thompson Center doesnt! My question is what would you guys recommend for "long range" dogs (500 yards and in).

The 243 is perfect for what you describe.

I'd rather a 260 Rem than a Creedmoor.

I wouldn't run a Tikka or T/C if they were free.......

Tikka T3 Lite. I have one in .243 and just finished putting a few rounds down range.... Everytime I shoot it Im reminded why I keep it around.

You'll get over the Tikka thing as you mature......
lol.gif

bet you dont have to worry bout getting them free.

Getfoxy what does yours like?? I have a bunch of 75gr Vmax and 87Gr VLD that i would love to get both of them to shoot out of it.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThe 243 is perfect for what you describe.

What he said. You've fed on the green grass, why eat thistles now?

Gary, just stand by.. the folks that shoot out of the Box Remmy's will be posting their targets shortly. It may be a long wait, But Im sure that they will post. An aftermarket stock has not gotton mine to shoot like that yet.. But Maybe If I spend more on it, it will! Im a Hoping!! LOL

I had a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 243, and after 3800 rounds down the tube it opened up to about 1.5" at 100 yards. It didn't matter what I put down its tube from 60gr Sierra HPs at max velocity, or 75, 95gr pills, it shot them all well.

I traded it for another Tikka T3 Lite 243, this one is blued, and in 2 years I have shot less than 20 rounds thru it.....It might be time to send it down the road.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the Tikka.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Gary, just stand by.. the folks that shoot out of the Box Remmy's will be posting their targets shortly. It may be a long wait, But Im sure that they will post. An aftermarket stock has not gotton mine to shoot like that yet.. But Maybe If I spend more on it, it will! Im a Hoping!! LOL

I am too lazy to post a pic as my factory Remington is no longer in production. But, there was a point in time when I with my stock 788 could shoot about .5MOA. I actually just went back and measured the target.I couldn't keep from having a flyer otherwise the holes were touching or close to it. Oh, and that is a 25ish year old rifle and the cheap federal ammo and with 80gr Speer hot-core ammo.

Really though, I would say get the rifle that feels best to you if your going to hunt with it, and I like as light a rifle as I can shoot cause I can't carry weight very well. As for selecting a cartridge I would suggest the old .243win for song dogs, but if you want to go with something less common then what about a 6.5x55 Swede? That would be interesting, and you could load lighter rounds for coyotes or heavier ones for deer, hogs, elk, or in Sweden they even take moose with it from what I hear.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Gary, just stand by.. the folks that shoot out of the Box Remmy's will be posting their targets shortly. It may be a long wait, But Im sure that they will post. An aftermarket stock has not gotton mine to shoot like that yet.. But Maybe If I spend more on it, it will! Im a Hoping!! LOL

I am too lazy to post a pic as my factory Remington is no longer in production. But, there was a point in time when I with my stock 788 could shoot about .5MOA. I actually just went back and measured the target.I couldn't keep from having a flyer otherwise the holes were touching or close to it. Oh, and that is a 25ish year old rifle and the cheap federal ammo and with 80gr Speer hot-core ammo.

Really though, I would say get the rifle that feels best to you if your going to hunt with it, and I like as light a rifle as I can shoot cause I can't carry weight very well. As for selecting a cartridge I would suggest the old .243win for song dogs, but if you want to go with something less common then what about a 6.5x55 Swede? That would be interesting, and you could load lighter rounds for coyotes or heavier ones for deer, hogs, elk, or in Sweden they even take moose with it from what I hear.

Thats the exception rather than the rule LOL.. Jk jeep dude.

You know why they discontiued 788's dont you?

Originally Posted By: getfoxy
Thats the exception rather than the rule LOL.. Jk jeep dude.

You know why they discontiued 788's dont you?

Yeah, they out shot the 700's and cost less!!! Although, I hear they have a problem with bolt shrinkage using high pressure rounds.

I would almost be willing to trade mine because the trigger bugs me so much now. I honestly don't know how I shot it before. I guess it had a heavier stock back then, and I was steadier too. I really need that trigger worked on.

Which is why I would say that you should get the Tikka since they are cheaper and sound like they have better triggers.

I'd stay with the .243, just like it better. It's a good cartridge for use up to deer and it excels at varmint sized game. The 6.5 would be OK if you wanted to hunt something bigger. To be honest I'm not sold on the 6.5, interest in it seems to come and go.

first i would say... get what you want... second 0-500 your 243 would be plum fine... beyond that, i would recommend the 6.5 round, the larger "higher" BC round will eventually succeed the 243 in longer ranges especially in windy conditions.

Back