How do you carry your gun on your ATV?

Stirling XD

I recently acquired an ATV that I plan on using for predator, deer and elk hunting. I'll probably use it to just have fun as well. I would like to hear from those that use ATVs to hunt, how do you prefer to carry your gun. I will do most of my hunting on public land. In Colorado, a gun has to be enclosed in a case (soft or hard sided) when it is carried on an ATV on public land. I don't plan on hunting from the ATV, just using it to get to my hunting grounds. While accessability is nice, my biggest concern keeping my gun safe. I don't want to miss the shot of a lifetime just to discover my scope has been bumped.

How do you guys carry your gun on an ATV?

I use a soft case secured by two mounts attached to the front of my ATV. I would like a hard plastic boot with a mount that goes on the side, but this way works for me so I can't justify the expense.

I too just use mine for transport, not hunting from it.

I use a soft case secured by two mounts attached to the front of my ATV. I would like a hard plastic boot with a mount that goes on the side, but this way works for me so I can't justify the expense.

I too just use mine for transport, not hunting from it.

A hard gun case that is bolted to the luggage rack. Not sure what model but its one my dad had back when he was in high school!
scared.gif

Found it in an old shed down on the farm, cant believe the mice havent eaten the wool lining

I use a hard case and solid mount that is attached to my rear rack. I had an accident one time and my machine rolled on its top. I had the gun in a soft case on the front rack. I got lucky and did not damgage the gun. After that, I will not use a soft case although for my AR I do because I dont have a hard case for it.

It's not the best picture, but you can see a hard case that is bolted to the front rack. The case is centered on the rack and only sticks out 4 inches on both sides. If I take two guns (rifle and a shotgun) I carry the shotgun in a thin soft case and it goes in the forks that are mounted on the back of the rack.

20080827001.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture though, its the only one I have in pb.

A 16" AR with a collapsible stock fits perfectly inside the rear rack bag I have mounted on my ATV. I put some padding on the bottom of the bag and cover the rifle with a towel.

Originally Posted By: coyote6974A 16" AR with a collapsible stock fits perfectly inside the rear rack bag I have mounted on my ATV. I put some padding on the bottom of the bag and cover the rifle with a towel.

Just one more thing that makes me want an AR.
thumbup1.gif

ATV's are hard on optics, mounts, and screws. Lots of padding, if you strap them to the machine. Here in Texas we can sling them over our back, or lay them in our lap.

Last edited:
I had the racks mounted on the front and got tired of the gun hitting all the brush here in Missouri. I also went to sling over the back to keep it close at hand.

I use a soft case and two bungy cords, mounted to the front basket of the atv. I bought an aftermarket basket and it hold the gun nicely. I would not want to fly through the woods but for normal riding the soft case works for me.

i have three milk crates on the bck of my four wheeler i just stick my gun in a soft case and buggie cord it the the crates .when im runing traps ...when im hunting i just throw it over my shoulder

I have a rear bag on my quad and I have a little cargo net. I put my rifle into a soft case, put it on top of the bag and then secure it with the cargo net. Been doing it for years and no problems.

We have a different deal than many.

Here on the ranch I keep a Rifle on the Rubicon 24/7. Certainly wouldn't use all of the guns I have in this fashion but a Marlin .22 Mag get's lots of action due to always being there.

We have had several of these racks and really like them. We make a simple modifications the makes it rock solid.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/weekend-warrior-gun-rack.aspx?a=78836

We try really hard not to tip over and if we do the rifle would be the least of our worries.
tt2.gif

TuckeRubicon2.jpg

MarlinMagRubicon.jpg

RubiconRackFront.jpg

RubiconRackFrontClose.jpg

sharkathmi, that extra rear rack space sure comes in handy.
thumbup.gif

We cobbled this one together with some stuff we had around.

RubiconRack.jpg

It works good great for a bale of hay, the weed sprayer, a battery for an irrigation pump, a cooler, or a deceased critter. It's light weight, maintains a low center of gravity, easy to load and it is very easy to remove/install. But you sure don't want to strap anything on there that you want to remain clean or unshaken.
w00t.gif

Safari Sling from Cabela's. It can be easily setup to carry your rifle in front of your belly, under your arms. No problems steering the ATV.

t.b.o sling on my back out of way and dont have to worry about it falling off or mud being slung up on my rifle. my shot gun in a hard case that is attached to rack

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKWe have a different deal than many.

Here on the ranch I keep a Rifle on the Rubicon 24/7. Certainly wouldn't use all of the guns I have in this fashion but a Marlin .22 Mag get's lots of action due to always being there.

We have had several of these racks and really like them. We make a simple modifications the makes it rock solid.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/weekend-warrior-gun-rack.aspx?a=78836

We try really hard not to tip over and if we do the rifle would be the least of our worries.
tt2.gif

TuckeRubicon2.jpg

MarlinMagRubicon.jpg

RubiconRackFront.jpg

RubiconRackFrontClose.jpg

sharkathmi, that extra rear rack space sure comes in handy.
thumbup.gif

We cobbled this one together with some stuff we had around.

RubiconRack.jpg

It works good great for a bale of hay, the weed sprayer, a battery for an irrigation pump, a cooler, or a deceased critter. It's light weight, maintains a low center of gravity, easy to load and it is very easy to remove/install. But you sure don't want to strap anything on there that you want to remain clean or unshaken.
w00t.gif

How do you "modify" it?

This picture shows the modification best.

RubiconRackFront.jpg

First you can see the rack is turned 180 deg. and mounted backwards from what the directions call for. This brings the guns/tools closer to the operator without interfering with the steering and allows room for the custom (lol) cargo box.

In the pic you can see the two turnbuckles that I add in a vertical position. These are easily adjusted to level and really stiffen up the rack. Ties it all together. The bottom of the turnbuckles are mounted using the smaller two clamps that are included with the rack. The top of the turnbuckles are attached to holes I drill in the main cross piece of the rack with bolts. I use nyloc nuts every chance I get for this type of stuff.

You can also see the Smith Airlight in the added holster that is made to attach to the rack.
http://www.grassburr.com/

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can clarify.

Next I want a good solid mounted rifle rest. I have tried a couple of ideas, but nothing has panned out yet. Still working on it.

Back