Another day another Coyote

rabiddog

Got up this morning at 430 to do some calling near my house with my son, But when I went to wake him up he said he stayed up to late with his sister watching Harry Potter so I let him sleep and took my hunting partner that will never say no.
Loaded up the goods and Sam and headed out.
Our 1st set we got blanked. Decided to hit another favorite spot of mine closer to the house. There is a fairly large tract of BLM land right up the road.
We got set in our spot and once Sam and I were settled in I gave the woods a low volume series of Lightning Jack. Wasn't more than 5 min when I see this little guy poke his head over a bush about 100 yds away, I look at Sam and he's laying next to me dozing off so when this Coyote came closer to see what he was gonna get in his Kids Meal from the Fox Pro menu.... he stopped in the open about 80 yds out and on a dirt mound......he got an 87 gr. VMAX for his surprise. Bullet entered center chest no exit VMAX was going approx. 3200 fps.
Boy when that gun went off Sam jumped up and stared in the direction the rifle muzzle was pointing, Not sure if he knew thats the direction the Coyote was but for the stories sake......yup he knew.
I let caller go for a few more mins. but Sam was getting all excited and restless so I cut him loose and he went in the direction I shot and even not knowing where the Coyote was he found it in just a few short mins. I am impressed so far with Sams abilities. On his 1st Coyote he displayed relentless pursuit and here on his 2nd he displayed an excellent nose.
Once we recovered the Coyote I leashed Sam to the bush we had sat in and I then drug this yote all thru the brush,circled and drug him some more and then hid it in a bush about 80 yds away and then let Sam hunt for him.
He zig zagged thru the brush and again in a few short mins he found the Coyote. So he's doing what I wanted when I started to bring him and thats tracking and finding downed animlas.
Here's Sam with the Coyote where we were sitting when I shot.
hunting354.jpg

hunting353.jpg

All in all I'm liking how Sam is turning out I think he'll only get better with the experiences we get going out. I encouraged him to get after this Coyote and he did get aggressive with it I have a video of him getting aggressive with this yote but I have to figure out how to post it from my phone to photobucket or some other program, But I'll have it up as soon as I can.

We've had a good couple days of calling now with 3 called and 2 down in 2 days.

Frank

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesNice going. Sam is a good looking dog. What kind is he? Looks like he might have some German Shepard in him?
Sam is said to be a German Shepard/Black Mouth Cur cross. some friends of mine had him and couldn't handle him, They both worked 2 jobs and just didn't have the time for him. They gave him to me because as some of you may remember my Black Lab died several months ago and I took it pretty hard.
They got Sam from one of em's parents who said their Black Mouth Cur hunting dog got knocked up by the neighbors German Shepard.Sam was the last one in the litter and they wanted a puppy so they took him and then I got him and imediately started obedience training then off leash hunting and hiking and then to sitting calling sets with me.
We do have a Cur breeder here in norther Ca. goes by the name of Bob Fogel I think,he's in Bella Vista Ca.
Well I had been talking to him cause I wanted a Cur pup but then I got Sam... so here he is.
Not that its all that conclusive, But I looked up BM Curs on internet and found they look very much like Sam and are built like Sam. One picture in particular looked almost exactly like Sam so much so I thought they could have been from the same litter but not likely it was just the resemblence.

Originally Posted By: Crimson RaptorGood stuff, Rabid. I remember some of your earlier posts about Sam. Sounds like he is shaping up to be an eager and quality partner.

Ya, Sams off to a good start. I know we are gonna have some bumps along the way but I think he's off and running.I look forward to posting more photos and if I ever get a cam-corder I can post hunting videos of Sam in action its fun to watch him work.

Funny, I thought for sure someone would make a comment about my red hunting chair, guess ya'll were mezmurized by my really cool story to notice.
I didn't realize how a out of place it looks in all that camo.

So here is the video I did on my cell phone of Sams reaction to the Coyote and I did encourage him to get ruff with it. After I shot the Coyote I took Sam and the Coyote back to where we were sitting and leashed Sam to a bush and drug the Coyote all over and hid it about 80 or so yds away to see if Sam could find it.

Don't know how to break this to you Rabbiddog. We all noticed the chair but figured you would be hiding most if not all of it.LOL.

Back