.243 Berger 95 gr and 105 gr VLD bullets as deer rounds

Hobo27

I've been using the Sierra 85 gr BTHP Gamekings out of my Rem 700 243's for years as my main "go to" deer rifle and load..... This 700 CLD SF will easily make groups between 1/2"-3/4" so long as I do my part.... Last season this rifle was used to drop five Georgia white-tails,,, all ranged and shot at distances between 220 and 425 yards.... Four of the five dropped in their tracks and the other was purposely lung-shot but even it didn't travel more that a 100 feet...

I love long range hunting (200-600 yards) and I really began to get concerned about the lack of energy this little 85 grain bullet has out past 400 yards.... This got me to thinking,,,, should I stay with the 243 and go to perhaps a 100 gr bullet or should I go to a completely different caliber.... The big 30+ caliber cannons didn't interest me... While researching my options I kept on coming across the 6.5 x 47 Lapua round that was a hot new caliber in bench-rest circles as far as accuracy is concerned.... According to a ballistics calculation program this 6.5 x 47 Lapua has 1390 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards where as the 85 gr BTHP had only 579 ft/lbs at the same distance,,,,, plus the 6.5 will be over 3 inches flatter shooting at this distance....

I finally convinced myself that the 6.5 x 47 Lapua was the way I needed to go,,,, so after considerable more research looking for the "right" rifle I had Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Custom Rifles build me a 6.5 x 47 Lapua that shoots unbelievable groups with the 140 gr Berger VLD bullets @ 2800 fps and have been assured that this will be one awesome long range deer killer... During load development for my rifle Allan Rovig, Tim's partner came up with a 0.167" group.... My best so far is a 0.197" group... These awesome results using the Berger VLD bullets got me to thinking about maybe trying either the 95 gr VLD or even the 105 gr VLD Berger bullets out of my .243....

The ballistic coefficient of the Sierra 85 gr BTHP being 0.311 compared to 0.486 for the 95 gr Berger and 0.532 for the 105 gr Berger is mind boggling.... On paper it looks like a "no-brainer" but it's in the field where it really counts.... I'm hoping some of you can share some of your first hand experiences with either or both of these two Berger .243 VLD bullets for hunting purposes....

Thanks in advance!!!

-----------

I load 95gr VLDs in one of my 243s. I cannot say I have deer killing experience with it yet. Yet.

I would not hesitate for a minute to use it on deer.......

If you a fast enough twist in your barrel you should be fine. Another bullet to consider(it was actually made for hunting) is the 95gr Ballistic Tip. It has a BC of .379 which is fair but it is one tough little pill. I watched some long range video's where they were running 95 and 105gr Bergers and they performed very well.

Guess the other of the 5 were shot in the shoulder? That 85 is a good bullet.

I have shot MANY 105 VLD's but only one into the side of a whitetail. The paticular one was 300 yard out of a straight 6BR. Hit tight behind shoulder (like bow shot) & ran about 20 yard before piling up. NO blood at hit. Found no blood until 5 yards of the dead deer. Tiny pin in & out the size of a nickle but was ripped inside as if shot with any typical hunting bullet.

I had a 6BRX built this year & it hammers with the 105 VLD's @ 2935. I tried a few 95 VLD's & clocked out right @ 3100 and showed promise but I went with 105's that shot better. I really planned to switch to the 105 amax for deer season. I've heard good things & a good friend killed several deer with them last year in straight 6BR including two great bucks.

The internet is full of great berger stories. However, I've seen 1st hand some not so great preformance out of the 140 6.5's from a partners 6.5x284. And some pin holes with 7mm 180's @ long range with 7 ultra

I will follow your post close hoping someone will chime in with more experience on game

Berger has a new 87 grain VLD. in 6mm. G1 is .412average , G7 is .211
They are made for a 1:10 twist or faster. I shot several all touching holes
at 300 yards. By far the best bullet I have put through the sako.

hobo - i have had great sucess with the 85 sierra also. i have not shot the 95 or 105 yet. i have heard mixed reports out of factory barrels. if you have an 8 twist krieger you will like it. i am picking up mine friday( 8 twist krieger)

I had terrible success with the 85 grain BTHP's on deer... It was the most accurate bullet I shot in my .243 but I shot two different deer with it and only recovered one after my brother in law dropped it with his 7mm. On the one we recovered I hit it about 4 inches above the heart but it had minimal to no damage. When I shot I thought I had missed because the deer didn't do anything. This shot was at 75 yards. The other deer I lost was a large buck at 300 yards hit twice behind the shoulder. Very little blood and after letting him sit for 2 hours to die I ended up jumping him and he ran into the next canyon and we never found him again. I think the .243 will kill deer and even elk (I've killed elk with one) but I'll never use the 85 grain BTHP's again for anything bigger than a coyote. I'll stick to the 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts.

Just wondering how you know you hit him twice behind the shoulder? And can you tell us how far back behind the shoulder?

That just seems odd no matter what bullet used.

.... I'm still searching for loading information from someone that actually loads and shoots the Berger 95 grain VLD .243 Winchester for hunting... I've had a few responses above but unfortunatly no "meat and patatoes" yet....

----------

According to Berger's website the 95 VLD requires a 1-9" twist which may or may not work out of the 1-9.125" twist barrels that Remington uses. The 105 VLD requires a 1-8" twist and I'm guessing there's no way it would stabelize in a 1-9.125" twist barrel. The new 87 grain VLD is listed as a 1-10" twist so I'd think it would work fine. I plan on giving them a try this year but at this time I have no experiance with the 87 or the 95 VLD's

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun95gr VLDs work in in 1-9.25 barrels just fine. 105s don't.... They most certainly do!
Having a turret cut for my gun using 95gn vld's right now. Also in a rem 1-9.25 barrel.

Hobo,

I joined this forum specifically to answer to your post
smile.gif

My load is:

95 grain Berger VLD
Hornady case
CCI250
H414 - 41.9 grains
C.O.A.L. 2.825"

As always, start 10% low
smile.gif

My rifle is:

26" .243 Rem. 700 SPS Varmint 9.125" twist - factory unmodified

I get roughly 2900fps and shoot 2.75" - 3.5" groups at 500 yards.

I have shot coyotes with this round and it puts a softball sized hole out the other side - they are mangy here and scrawny. I have not shot a deer but have read many good reviews concerning doing so. I test fired a round into a 10lb beef knuckle to prove Bergers claim that it creates a 12" wound channel and rips up the insides and the video can be found here:

To say it was pure destruction is maybe an understatement.
Anyway, hope this helps. I realize it's been a while since the last post but good luck anyway.

my 243 shoots 95-100gr bergers great with an 1-8 but i cannot find a load for those pain in the [beeep] 105s... just wont shoot them...

my loads are
95 gr vld
42 grs h-1000 or rl-19
fed 210
geting 3025 fps..

sub moa with both powders

Last edited:
Back