Hanging the Coyote on a fence?

Iron Pony

I've always heard hanging a dead Coyote on the fence will keep others away. Well, I did hang one on the fence last July and I have not seen a single one until this morning. Now, the carcass is mostly deteriorated. I hear coyotes almost every night around our place but not on our place. There was a time when they frolicked to and fro in the open portion of the pasture and we are talking about 85 acres with about half of it pasture and half wooded. I'd like to hear from you guys. If hanging one up ruins the hunting, I won’t do it again.

We've (and several other boards) kicked this around on several occasions. Hanging is an old wives tail simple as that. Even if it weren't I'd try to stay away from hanging anything dead on a wire. Its heavily frowned apon these days and is best left in the past. I know that some ranchers still like to see it, but if a rancher wanted me to do it for the hunting priveledges I'd try to talk him out of it. If he can't be talked out of it I'd try to find a spot that is difficult to view from a public road.

Hey Mike,

I see where you are coming from. I did hang her out of site unless you use a 36 power scope that is, in addition I did not hang her up wind. I do have access 600 acres and the farmer wants us to hang them on the fence as we harvest the dogs. I'm not going to argue with him, this is not downtown Dallas. You can actually get a toothless grin in this neck of the woods. I do remember seeing a short news clip last year and a "Old Timer" was trapping Coyotes with snares, traps or whatever it took to get them becuase they were imposing a threat to his livestock. Now,believe it or not even here in Texas there were a few callers upset with him for hanging dozens of Coyotes on his fence. I can't imagine the call volume that would be generated if that same story was broadcasted in San Fransico.

Iron Pony - Yea, I thought that the rancher was the one that wanted you to do this. I've gotta thank you for not turning ugly on me for the mear hint that maybe we should be sensitive to the soccer moms and enviro-nuts. Thruth is I never liked dead things hanging on fences. When I was a young boy several people thought that it was cool to hang woodchucks on fences. The memory of riding my bicycle past their stinking, diease infested rotting bodiesst will always be with me. Seems like you could smell them for miles. I even got some fairly harsh words from one woodchuck hunter for knocking one of these rotting bodies off a fence. I had quite enough of smelling it every day.

Now that I can understand and if we hang enough up on that Farmers fence, he will understand too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back