Anyone in Oregon looking for a protege?

Amnesiac

So to make a long story semi short I am a 27 year old guy, born and raised (and still living) in the Portland metro area. I have always had an interest in guns and hunting, the only problem is nobody in my family, or anyone I know for that matter, shares the same interest. About a year ago I decided to just say "F it" and start learning about it on my own. I am the type of person that does tons of research before taking something on, and after a ton of research I determined that coyote hunting is where I wanted to start.

After saving money for a bunch of months I put together an AR-15 built for the purpose of predator hunting. Basically after months and months of research I think I'm at the point where I am ready to get out there and give it a go. So the question is, are there any super nice Oregonians out there there that would be willing to teach a newbie the ropes? I'm a pretty quick learner and good with taking instructions. I am willing to provide personal references, blood samples, first born, some of my homebrew or w/e it takes to sweaten the deal =D My work schedule is Monday-Friday so I am free basically any weekend. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Good luck on your search for a teacher.
Your best bet may just be getting some F.S. maps and BLM maps and research your surrounding areas and do the scouting and learning as you go.
That is what most of us did to get started anyway. You can only fail so many times before you realize what you are doing wrong and if your not sure that is where this site comes in you post questions most of us will respond with our experiences and they may all be different experiences with similar hunting conditions,but that's where you get the knowledge to try something different.
So just get out there and hunt and enjoy learning it may be the only way.

Frank

If you dont have any luck, just get out there, its sink or swim. Ive been doing it since I was a teenager and im your age. I still debate about making simialr posts sometimes hahaha. Just get out there dude. Find the user "grandview outdoors" on youtube. They have all these calling contest videos. I watch them and practice my calling off theirs. No one ever "gets it" but everyone gets better at it. Good luck

I found a couple areas I am going to try out, but the from everything I have read the public land opportunities around Portland are slim. In a couple weeks I am planning to go out and scout one of the areas/have a nice weekend camping trip. The only call I have is a hand rabbitt distress call that I have been practicing, although I really have no idea if I'm doing it right haha. Thanks for help, this site has been a huge resource for me.

Originally Posted By: AmnesiacI found a couple areas I am going to try out, but the from everything I have read the public land opportunities around Portland are slim. In a couple weeks I am planning to go out and scout one of the areas/have a nice weekend camping trip. The only call I have is a hand rabbitt distress call that I have been practicing, although I really have no idea if I'm doing it right haha. Thanks for help, this site has been a huge resource for me.

If you want to know if you're doing the rabbit distress call
right, try it out on a neighbors dog or head on over to the
nearest dog park.

Go to one of our fine sponsors here, Allpredatorcalls.com, and pick up the instructional video "So You Want To Be A Predator Caller" from one of our other fine sponsors, Tony Tebbe. It really is that good and probably the next best thing to having somebody with you who knows what they're doing.

Give Duane at Shooters Services Unlimited a call, he's over in Burns. He sure can get you squared away. Spending time hunting with him is way better then any self research or videos. He can dramatically shorten the learning curve. He has taught me more about coyote hunting in a few weekends then i learned in 4 years of trial and error!

Originally Posted By: HidenseekproGo to one of our fine sponsors here, Allpredatorcalls.com, and pick up the instructional video "So You Want To Be A Predator Caller" from one of our other fine sponsors, Tony Tebbe. It really is that good and probably the next best thing to having somebody with you who knows what they're doing.

That will work great for learning but next thing you know you'll be buying a decoying dog, buying a dedicated calling rig, moving to the middle off nowhere (or very close to there), starting your own guiding company, making your own hand calls then selling them, making predator hunting videos, and finally you'll buy yourself a big crazy hat when the weather is bad at the annual PM hunt!!!

Sorry, to Tony if he sees this, but I thought I should warn the guy!

Haha I do have a feeling once I bag my first coyote I'm going to be hooked, as far as the stuff you just listed goes it's probably going to be awhile before I get that into it. I am but a young man who works a [beeep] retail job, the funds are not there for all of that. That being said I will be purchasing that video of his.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Give Duane at Shooters Services Unlimited a call, he's over in Burns. He sure can get you squared away. Spending time hunting with him is way better then any self research or videos. He can dramatically shorten the learning curve. He has taught me more about coyote hunting in a few weekends then i learned in 4 years of trial and error!

Wow in all my Oregon predator hunting research I didn't come across these guys. Having been out there yourself which of their services would you recommend? I see they have a $250 trip w/out lodging and $350 with lodging, looks like I gotta start putting away again.

Originally Posted By: HidenseekproGo to one of our fine sponsors here, Allpredatorcalls.com, and pick up the instructional video "So You Want To Be A Predator Caller" from one of our other fine sponsors, Tony Tebbe. It really is that good and probably the next best thing to having somebody with you who knows what they're doing. +1

Amnesiac,
I always do the full lodging hunts, the meals and lodging in my opinion are first class. Well worth the extra hundred bucks. What I do is pick his brain when i'm there. He once said, the only stupid questions are the ones never asked, I bet he regrets telling me that. Haha!! He is willing to answer any and all of my questions over the phone and that started before i booked my first hunt. He really is a great guy and with a bit of help you'll have your first coyote in no time.

Send Rustydog a PM. I believe he is part of a group of guys that formed a predator hunting group in the Portland area. I'm not sure how frequently they meet, but that could be a starting point for you.

bowhunt32 gives you good advice. The club/organization he formed does some weekend group hunts that would be a great way to get you into some help w/o spending a lot of money. I think it's the NW Predator Hunting Assoc or something like that. Google it. Everything can be Googled.
wink.gif

Back