Adjustable Objective on Scope for 22LR

mikeinlouisiana

I am shopping for new scope for my CZ and was wondering, Do you think an AO scope is needed on a 22LR since the range I mostly shoot is less than 100 yds?

thanks

Mike

The problem thing with *most* scopes without AO is they are parallax free at around 100 yards. To ME, all the magical fun of a .22 rimfire is in the 25 to 70 yard ranges. Most non AO scopes are going to have parallax issues at those ranges. I now have AO scopes on all my rimfires. To ME, it makes sense and I'm happy with em.

Of course there are also non AO scopes made that are parallax free at different/shorter distances also.

Last edited:
Rimfire scopes are set @ 50 yds. Centerfire @ 150 yds.

Whether an AO is needed depends upon the type of scope and it's magnification range.

I have a fixed 15X on one 22L. It has an AO.

The 3-9x40 on my other 22LR does not have AO. Both work fine........

Adjustable Objectives are more valuable on a 22LR gun than a centerfire due to distances shot. Our most popular rimfire scope by far is the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40AO scope, for instance. Most users are plinkers, light target work, etc. For something that's primarily used for off hand shooting you could go to a 3-9 or 2-7 or whatever and not worry about AO if accuracy isn't a big concern.

3x9x40 rifleman on my 10/22. Works great for me. From 25 to 100 yards I don't have any problems. Most shots are in the 50-60 yard range. Hated the same scope when it was on my AR though!

I think the general consensus is that AO is needed/useful on anything over 10X. The parallax encountered with higher magnifications (and no AO) might not be great enough to make you miss a jackrabbit at 100 yds, but it could certainly make you miss the bulls-eye.

I have had alot of different scopes on alot of different 22 rifles in my life. However I think the Leupold 3X9X33 with EFR(AO) is the finest 22 rifle scope I know of. For all but the most precision bullseye shooting, the scope just can't be beat. Tom.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. I had a 3 x 9 non AO scope that gave out on me. I want to replace with a 3-12, 4-12 or 4.5-14 power scope and wanted to ask the question. I am glad I did. It will be used mostly for squirrel hunting.

thanks

Mike

Mike, the Leupold VXII 4-12x40 AO with a fine duplex reticle is my favorite scope for mashin' noggins.
thumbup1.gif

Set the AO on 30-35 yards and the mag. on about 6x, and you're ready for 90% of the shots you'll get in hardwood timber. Longer shots will usually give you time to crank up the x's and do a quick focus on the AO.

I have the $60 centerpoint from walmart on my 22. I think it's a 4-16 with adjustable turrets. It works great on my Savage Mark II

I have a Bushnell Banner 4-12 AO on both of my CZ rimfires. They work really well for an inexpensive scope. Plenty good for squirrel hunting.

Lots of different scopes out there and a lot of good ones. One of my favorites for a couple of my .22 plinkers is the old Vintage Weaver K4. It's a 1" steel tube no AO but I can't find anything about it that isn't great on my plinkers. The Auction and Broker sites usually have them reasonably priced.

Back