.223 in heavy weight bullets for deer?

tntrapper

first off please dont bite my head off i know people say .223 isnt enought for deer and shouldnt be shot with them but..i love my .308 but the recoil gets too me after a bit so im thinking of a .223 for deer shooting 69 or 77 grain bullets.. my shots would be anywhere close to 300 yrds .whats everyones thoughts on a what bullets and so on here .

I would second the barnes bullets, but have you thought about a cartridge in between the 2? 6mm rem, .243, 6.5 variants etc....

I could see the .308 wearing you out after 50 to 100 shots on the bench, but I have personally never shot at an animal with ANY caliber where I actually paid any attention to the recoil.

I do agree that a 223 with a heavier bullet placed in the right area to be enough. In fact I have heard of elk being taken with a 223. Head shot I imagine.

Dave

when your hunting you won't feel the recoil or hear the rifle in my experience...that being said...a nosler partition would be a great place to start in 223.

I love the .223 vs Deer threads. This topic boils quickly.

I've shot a few deer with the .223 and all haven't went more then 30yrds after being shot. Shots ranged from 30yds to almost 400yds. All have been one shot, one kill.

62gr Barns would be an excellent choice. Lot of ppl use them with excellent results. I have a box that I need to make a load up for.

I've been running 75gr Swift SSII's and they hammer the deer, and the BC is almost up there with a 75gr Amax.

Here's one that got stuffed with a 75gr SSII's.

a7518fc3.jpg

Very nice, Mike.

This lil' fella took a 70gr TSX from up in a treestand and it traveled dang near through his whole body exiting the front shoulder. I think it was around 90-100 yds. shot or so. Can't remember. Think I mentioned it here before. Anyway, he didn't go far.
grin.gif

I was kinda disappointed that I shot him, as it was kinda dark out and I thought he was an 8 pt. I had seen. As you can see, he was trotting away from me. Not a lot of time for decision making. Oh well. He tastes good.

078.jpg

i have thought of a inbetween round but i have a ar-15 i love shooting asnd was hoping to be able to use my ammo for it in the bolt gun to practice with u know save ammo costsome what..i haveing got the gun yet but looking at a rem700 probley have to go with 1in 7 twist for the heavy bullets .wouldnt i?... i wouldnt agrue with them results.. i know the recoils not felt but i have a finch with my .308 but not with the .223 b/c of the felt recoil..even when im hunting i tend to pull shots with the .308....

Everyone has a different recoil threshold. You can learn to increase yours through practice, if you wish.

The 700 should be a 1-8 twist, not 1-7. It is a good choice. TSXs, Partitions, TBBCs, even 64gr Power Points, have no trouble taking deer provided the shooter is up to the task.

My cousin's wife does not like recoil much. She has been killing big northern whitetails up in the U.P. with whatever 55gr SP she can get her hands on, for years......

Ken,

Thanks. Actually have some venison tenderloins marinating in the fridge. Stop over, we'll save a few for ya, grin.

Ken,

Why did you choose the 70gr TXS and not 62gr TSX?

That sounds good. We'll get together soon.

I pretty much just picked the 70s cuz I'm running a 1-8 twist and like the higher BC and greater weight, even though both are kinda minimal.

Shots can be close up also. For that reason, I like the little bit of extra weight of the 70gr.

I doubt a yote or whitetail, or even myself, will probably ever notice the difference......

Back