GOOD GROUPS WITH RUGER NO 1 IN 220 SWIFT

dollman

just been ot testing some reloads with my ruger no 1 in 220 swift,it has a hicks accriser block and a moyers custom trigger ,all groups are for 3 shots, first load f/l fed once shot brass 41 grns of h380 ,52 grn berger match bullet rem mag primer,col 2.678 best group size .390, next was fed neck size brass once shot ,36.5 grns of blc2 52 grn berger match bullet rem mag primer best group .198 ins ,i will have neck size with the h380 load and see what happens theses all shot off a bipod ,but myself i was having a good day and shot well ,they may open up a bit when i am having a bad day, as to say i am more than happy ,i am going with the h380 load for now i have a few cans of it spare and make up 60 rounds for now ,and test later on in the week with the neck sizing load, so tomorow night mr fox can look out ,atb steve

I've burned a lot of 380 in my 22-250s, but never in a Swifter. Sounds like it works well. The stuff meters smoother than silk, but does not burn the cleanest.

I have basically replaced 380 with Varget and 4064 in my 22-250s, basically because the other 2 burner cleaner and are less sensitive to temperature swings. I'm not one of those internet "is my powder too temp. sensitive" guys, but if i can get the same results with a cleaner burning powder that just happens to be less sensitive, well.....

Love you crazy Brits BTW. I worked with a bunch of guys from Aston Martin. Loved 'em. Some of the funnest people to drink with on the planet, no doubt.....

thanks mate,i am not saying i am going to get groups like that all the time ,but 1/2 ins and below is right on the money ,and as its for hunting what more do you want,i have never used imr 4064 before is it hard on the barrel wear, or some say r15 is the powder of choice ,dont have much temperature swings in in wales its always pissing down and cold lol thanks for the reply, atvb steve

Like 2MG, H380 has been my main staple but switched to Vargat for cleaner burning as well with good results. I will say that the Vargat is a royal PITA to meter through. The tubular grains gets caught up on some throws.

Good luck,

Eric

I Shot 44.5g of 2700 with a Fed 210 with a 50g Nosler at 4000 fps with very tiny groups, like the ones you shot with the 36.5g load.

Cat shooter is shooting 4007 with the 55's at over 4000, that would be on my short list of things to try.

Back