Temperature Sensitivity?

kam582

I want to work up some loads for my bolt and AR .223's. I have been using Varget, but can't get the velocity I want. I have been reading here on PM that a lot of guys use H335, Benchmark, and TAC with good results for their .223's. I am relativity new to reloading, and I started with Varget because I wanted a temperature stable powder, but, as I said, I can't get the velocity. I use the AR for coyotes, and the bolt Savage for prairie dogs, and maybe coyotes if my mood is right. I was set on H335, but am worried about the temperature sensitivity. I too am somewhat temperature sensitive, and will not be out there in 100 degree weather, but 85 or 90 is not out of the question. Which powder of the three I mentioned is the least sensitive? Am I being too over cautious?

Well, varget and Benchmark are extreme powders and will do pretty consitent work in temperature variances out to around 350/400yds. Might I suggest some H4895? I have had great success in that powder with the 223 and have shot it in temps from 0-90. Out to the above listed ranges, I have seen no difference in POI.

H335 is a fine powder for the 223 but its spherical and will change your POI with different temps...

I tried a bunch of differnt powders in my 223. The ones you listed as well. I liked the H335 when it was cool but as soon as it warmed up it was all over the place. I finally settled on Benchmark.

H335 has worked well for me, but we dont get quite the temp swings that other states do. 50'ish to about 100 degrees,not letting the round bake in a hot chamber on a hot day, and not pushing the load has not shown many ill effects for me as of yet, Good luck on your loads.

I let a box of ammo (20PPC) sit in the sun for about 6hrs (95*) and then shot it with the XBR8208, I was shooting a max load of 30grs and using CCI450's. NO PRESSURE ISSUES! I use this powder exclusivly now. Adam

I run h335 in my 223 ar and don't push max. I also run bechmark in my 20pr ar. In the 6x45 ar I run either h322 or benchmark. I have shot pd's in july up in SD and shot yotes in Jan. I have also shot the loads in Az and have not had any problems with them anywhere.

Anybody got any details AA2230 as far as temp sensitive? I have only loaded handguns until this weekend so kind of new to the accuracy issues. Talking with another guy & he mentioned the heat sensitivity of the powder since my testing was done at about 3pm yesterday in the Texas heat. I was looking at the latest post here & this one popped up so I thought I would pick some brains! Also what effect will it have? Will it fail to compleatly burn the powder or increase the pressures & or velocities? Im clueless!

aa2230 is a good 223 powder, so is aa2015, but I do get POI shift when it gets hot...I use Benchmark for 60 grains and under and opt for the H4895 for over 60 grains.

Back