scope rings and bases to reach 1000yds

yotehunter243

My buddy has been shooting pistol comp. and has decided he wants to try his hand at rifle shooting. I am a predator hunter and by no means a "long range" shooter. I have helped him best i could and he has purcheased a Ruger M77 in 6.5 Creedmore and now is looking at a VX3L 6.5x20-56mm scope and didnt know what he need for rings and a base for it? I know people have the 30 MOA ramps with 20MOA rings and all that jazz. But i told him instead of asking the local gun shop and let them fill you head with BS (they hadnt even heard of the Creedmore) i would ask around and see what he needs. So any help would be sweet

Farrell 20moa base. Any set of premium quality 30mm rings.

I'd rather an 8.5-25x50 VX3 scope with M1s added. The VX3L ain't too popular, and never will be, IMO. Don't get caught spending a bunch of money on something nobody wants. Too hard to get rid of, and the price is never right......

003-3.jpg

http://www.kenfarrell.com/scan/st=db/co=...ount/op=eq.html

What distance has he conquered so far?? 400 yards?? 600 yards?? 800 yards??

If he has not conquered those distances yet then he might want to rethink his goal. Just going straight to 1,000 yards with a stock factory rifle is not a simple thing to do. I have custom rifles, and over 40 years of shooting experience. I have not conquered 1,000 yards. I am still working on the 800 yard line. And that is not an easy task to conquer.

Once you go past 600 yards you have to work for every yard increase you conquer. And personally I have not seem any production rifles on the line once the shooting goes past 600 yards.

Depending on his experience. I would suggest he wears the barrel out at 500 yards to start with. Then move out in distance slowly. And the standard scope and rings will handle 500 yards. But not much more.

The only reason I suggest this is because I can tell by your thread that this shooter is new to long range. I honestly don't know any experienced shooters that would even mention the equipment you mentioned to shoot to 1,000 yards. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADWhat distance has he conquered so far?? 400 yards?? 600 yards?? 800 yards??

If he has not conquered those distances yet then he might want to rethink his goal. Just going straight to 1,000 yards with a stock factory rifle is not a simple thing to do. I have custom rifles, and over 40 years of shooting experience. I have not conquered 1,000 yards. I am still working on the 800 yard line. And that is not an easy task to conquer.

Once you go past 600 yards you have to work for every yard increase you conquer. And personally I have not seem any production rifles on the line once the shooting goes past 600 yards.

Depending on his experience. I would suggest he wears the barrel out at 500 yards to start with. Then move out in distance slowly. And the standard scope and rings will handle 500 yards. But not much more.

The only reason I suggest this is because I can tell by your thread that this shooter is new to long range. I honestly don't know any experienced shooters that would even mention the equipment you mentioned to shoot to 1,000 yards. Tom.

Tom,

How wouldn't a stock rifle not be able to shoot at 1000yds? Just because you haven't, doesn't mean it can't happen. I see new shooter at our 1000yd range with factory Rem and Savages and they walk from 100-1000 without much problem unless there is a lot of wind. I started with a Rem VS in .308 and I had no problem from 100-1000yds.

To the original topic starter, skip the Ken Farrell base. I'm a huge fan is Seekin's rings and bases. I have a handful of TPS rings and they're a good bang for the buck.

Most factory guns shoot very well these days.

That is just my opninion. However I live 3 miles from the WV 1,000 yd. club. And I am an active member. I can honestly say I have not seen one serious 1,000 yard shooter at the club shooting Ruger factory rifles.

Alot of times guys show up and throw lead at the target at 1,000 yards. But none of them can seriously shoot at that distance with a factory Ruger rifle.

Again that is just my opinion. But I have been going to the range for years, and I haven't seen it yet.

Alot of guys think that if you shot 1/2" at 100 yards then they should be shooting 5" at 1,000 yards. My experience says nothing is farther from the truth. And you said something about the wind?? Heck that is just one factor.

I would actually go as far as to say(and to bet) that 99% of the factory rifle shooters couldn't hit a target at 1,000 yards if their life depended on it. Especially if they haven't already mastered shorter distances like 500 through 800 yards. I know I would bet against them hitting the target every time. And I bet I would walk away with all the money.

Again I am not bragging. Because I also am not good enough to shoot consistently at 1,000 yards. But I promise you if I commited myself to do it, it would not be with a factory Ruger rifle.

I know guys who can do it. And they spend more on their front rest than a Ruger rifle costs.

Again this is just my opinion. However I have read about alot of guys who want to shot at 1,000, but can't shoot at 300.

I might be coming off a bit snobbish by saying this. And I apologize if it sounds that way. But I really am speaking the truth. And the real 1,000 yd. competitors know I speak the truth. Tom.

Last edited:
Mike,

Farrell was suggested because nobody else I know of makes such a base for a 77. Not TPS, not Seekins.

I am sure Skinney was aware of this also.

You know I do not normally prefer Farrell bases......

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD
i'm not arguing with you here... just setting a couple things straight... i went out shooting yesterday with a few guys, on my buddies new range 400-1200yds, a local guy was there shooting his new "factory" 7mm Rem, never has shot past 200yds, yesterday he was consistently ringing a 12" plate over 800yds, he had some POS rings, and IMHO a POS nikon scope w/ a 1" tube that didn't even track correctly, had a standard duplex ret, and peg'd out his upage @ 5 mins with a 200yd zero, but hey... he got there and he had lots of fun doin it!!! [beeep] i even shot my buddies other factory 7mm RUM with a vortex scope and was ringin it @ 810yds, i only say 810yds because it got too dark to get on our 1200yd mark, it was 100 + deg i might add.
SO... being an inexperienced shooter "as he was" his equip worked just fine for him to ring steel.
NOW... killing animals @ that distance is another story, i would never recommend equipment that is "not up to par" ALONG with the shooters ability, experience, and knowledge on how to do so!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD

I know guys who can do it. And they spend more on their front rest than a Ruger rifle costs.

Just bought a JJ LOH front rest. Love it but the price is uuuppp there.

something else you might consider is shimming up the base you have, (if you can shim a m77). brownells sells shim kits pretty cheap and they work well.blue

Back