New/Old Calling Rig

I've been asked lately to put up some pictures of my calling rig. I'll start by saying that it should look somewhat familiar to some of you as it's TT's old Jeep he had before he and his business outgrew it. The coolest features it has, like the "walkable" roof and back deck were designed and built by Tony. After seeing it sitting at his house and not getting used much, I talked Tony into selling it to me.

You can see the reinforced roof and rear deck with tiedown points for the shooting chairs and other stuff. I've also stood on the rear deck and used the BOG tripod on the roof. The whole setup is knda' like a luxury version of the Arizona guys' ladders.

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

Aside from seeing to some of the old-car issues it has, the only real change I've made is to put on some smaller tires. The four angry squirrels under the hood were having a heck of a time spinning the previous 31" tires, so I put on some 235/75-R15's; about 29".

DSC00177.jpg

On the inside, I've added a few items that help out with organization and security.

Lockable storage for the center console and behind the seat.
That's my daughter's cap on the seat, I swear!

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

I found an old single file cabinet that, once I screwed it down, makes an awesome storage/organizer drawer. It holds my offroad recovery gear, some tools, my ghillie, and a bunch of other stuff.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

I'm having a blast with the new rig. My wife is really happy that I'm not flogging her CR-V around the desert anymore, too!

Originally Posted By: Hidenseekprothe only real change I've made is to put on some smaller tires. The four angry squirrels under the hood were having a heck of a time spinning the previous 31" tires, so I put on some 235/75-R15's; about 29".

I hear that. Seems like I spend a lot of time reachin' for a lower gear in my '02 TJ 4 banger. When I get a few more miles on the tires (and my money's worth out of the SLiME tire sealant) will probably step down, also. Did you notice a lot of difference?

Nice rig! Like the file drawer idea.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Seat of the pants dyno says it's some quicker. It has the five-speed with the 4.10:1 rearends. Like all the 2.5's, its a tank off road.

After downsizing the tires, I don't necessarily have to downshift going uphill or into a crosswind or, God forbid, both. GPS says the fastest it has gone is 81 mph; if I remember right, that was downhill with an almost full-value tailwind. I figured I could live with being an inch closer to the ground to get some of the guts back in it.
My '01 Sport came with 27" tires, so I'm still upsized from stock. I'm still getting somewhere around 18 mpg, too.

I'm so glad you talked me out of my hunting rig Corey. It fits you perfect and it makes me smile to see it getting some action again. It's brought me some really good luck over the years and I hope it does you, as well. I can't wait to start building my next rig, as soon as the flatbed is available. Hopefully in 30 days or less.

Tony

I'm glad to have it. I'd missed having a Jeep since I sold my last one. It was just perfect luck that you had this one already done up specifically for calling.
Your new rig is going to turn out awesome. It'll round out you calling "fleet" to where you'll have just about all conditions covered. Not to mention, it's gonna' look really cool!

Back