accurcy for a sako 243

kluxman45

If my rifle doesnt like 100 grn or 87 grn. whats it gonna like?these were all factory loads i shot and not one shot under 2 inches at 100 yards.guns a 1968 sako forester glass bedded,under 1000 rounds shot through it.havent reloaded yet.1 in 10 twist,so if i go lighter bullets hows it gonna shoot?Id think not good because they would be over stabilized right?whatca think?

my sako shoots nosler 80 grainers over 39gr of h380....5 shot one holer at 100 all day long. my buddys sako shoots 90 grainers over 36 gr of imr4895. did you just get the rifle? just have it bedded?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have been told by a few that you can't OVER stabilize a bullet. ???????

You dont over stabilize...you explode it from centrifugal force

Originally Posted By: kluxman45If my rifle doesnt like 100 grn or 87 grn. whats it gonna like?these were all factory loads i shot and not one shot under 2 inches at 100 yards.guns a 1968 sako forester glass bedded,under 1000 rounds shot through it.havent reloaded yet.1 in 10 twist,so if i go lighter bullets hows it gonna shoot?Id think not good because they would be over stabilized right?whatca think?

First off..pitch the WalMart ammo and get a box of that HIGH DOLLAR stuff...and dont cry when you pay the tab either..:)
SCRUB the barrel out...and GOOD. May have only a few rounds but that dont mean it might not have fouling problems..
Examine the muzzle with a magnifier if you have to...you could have a very slightly damaged muzzle and then use a bore light and look at the chamber end to see if the throat is screwed up in some manner.

Go back to the range with this SPOTLESSLY CLEAN bore and get sandbagged in and go at it again. It'll shoot under and inch group now... Sako's aint no piece of junk and I never did see one that was a poor shooter.

the scope is a leopould markII,no clicks its the turrets that just turn,rifle was my dads and he said it doesnt have 500 rounds through it.well,im my opinon the blueing from rideing around in a rifle rack in a pick up is rubbed off some,the rubber but plate that says sako is worn looking,I asked him how does it get in that shape and only 5 hundred rounds through it.they shot praier dogs back in the seventys,had a red feild scope on it then,now has the 4x12 leopold markII.what i meant by over stableize is spinning the bullet to fast with a 1 in 10 twist.I havent shot nothing smaller then a 87 through itand they print like this; target one inch dot,first shot almost touching at 9 oclock,second shot went to 3 oclock with out touching dot.third shot 4 inches low at 6 oclock,5th shot up some at 6 oclock.same with the 100s.rifle was shot off a leadsled.

I would lean towards a fouled barrel. Use overnight soaks with Wipeout until the blue color disappears then clean it with a good solvent and see what she does then. From what I've heard of Sakos, you should be able to expect better unless, of course, the barrel was fried on pd's.

Klux- the twist rate is not the problem. the 10 twist is ideal for standard bullets from 60 to 100 grain. i shot 60 grain sierras out of mine, 80 grian sierras and 85s; and i shot 95 parttitions and 100 grain parttions and horn btsp . they all shot less than an inch. if you had a hornady oal gauge you could find out how far off the lands you are; that would tell you how many rounds through it. mine has over 2500 and needs a new barrel.

Originally Posted By: tt35I would lean towards a fouled barrel. Use overnight soaks with Wipeout until the blue color disappears then clean it with a good solvent and see what she does then. From what I've heard of Sakos, you should be able to expect better unless, of course, the barrel was fried on pd's.

+1

My dad gave me his 30-06, purchased new in 1966, and only cleaned with Hoppes #9. Prior to Wipeout, the best groups I could get were 1 3/4". After getting the barrel sqeaky clean with Wipeout, it will shoot MOA.

I am getting good accuracy with a 10 twist and 58 grain bullets.I also think you are good on the twist.I have also seen copper in the barrel do what you are describing.I once had a rifle with a lot of copper in it when I got it but it looked clean.When I used copper solvent I found the problem.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI am getting good accuracy with a 10 twist and 58 grain bullets.I also think you are good on the twist.I have also seen copper in the barrel do what you are describing.I once had a rifle with a lot of copper in it when I got it but it looked clean.When I used copper solvent I found the problem.

My factory Remington is a 1:91/8 twist..?? And I also agree and had advised the gentleman that if he isnt handloading and isshooting junk ammo he can have fouling galore and still havent had shot many rounds thru it.

I used a stony point gage deal where you screw the case on and stick it in the barrel along with a 100 grain bullet.then when it touches the rifleing you lock that plunger,pull it out and insert the bullet and measure it.the base of the bullet went in about a quarter inch and stoped in the neck.kinda long throat hu?maybe burned up?my dad bought it new in 69 and said he never shot more then 500 rounds through it.cleaning ,well,i cleaned it and it was filthy.havenet been back to the range yet.whatca all think?new barrel,if so what would be a good choice?or how about setting the barrel back and re chambering it to 243.gun is a sako forester L579.inspection card that came with it said 4-69.

Are you going to shoot reloads or factory ammo? I wouldn't be in a big hurry to rebarrel just yet. Don't worry too much about touching the lands (with your stoney point gauge) either if your using factory ammo.

Now that you have it cleaned, and good ammo, make sure the scope and mounts are secure. Now go shoot it and see what it will do.

In my experience, almost everybody, vastly over estimates the number of rounds they shot through a rifle. Very few people keep accurate records of every shot fired.

Jack

Klux- have you tried the 85 sierra bthp on the federal factory ammo? i can suggest handloads i have had good acuracy in multiple guns both remington and sako. rebarrleing is expensive. that is why mine has not been done yet.

Originally Posted By: kluxman45I used a stony point gage deal where you screw the case on and stick it in the barrel along with a 100 grain bullet.then when it touches the rifleing you lock that plunger,pull it out and insert the bullet and measure it.the base of the bullet went in about a quarter inch and stoped in the neck.kinda long throat hu?maybe burned up?my dad bought it new in 69 and said he never shot more then 500 rounds through it.cleaning ,well,i cleaned it and it was filthy.havenet been back to the range yet.whatca all think?new barrel,if so what would be a good choice?or how about setting the barrel back and re chambering it to 243.gun is a sako forester L579.inspection card that came with it said 4-69. KLUX- mine from 1967 using a 100 horn is 1/4" out of the shell casing.needs a new barrel badd. it still shoots less than two inches. is yours a heavy barrel or a sporter?? i shoot off snad bags . with the 12X scope you should be able to tell if the shooter is moving at all. i would check scope mounts and action screws also. clean with jaybees bore paste and kroil to make sure you get out all copper and powder.

Back