Barnes TSX 22-250 50gr for coyote

tom223

Has anyone used these bullets for coyote? Are they fur friendly? Federal sells them,I was thinking on trying them. Any info would be help-ful. Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Folks are going to need to know the speed of the bullet or at least the cartridge you are using.
Big difference from a 22 Hornet to a 220 Swift.

Unless you need to be lead free, youre wasting your money IMHO. They are very nice bullets but the cost isn't justified. For deer, in a 22-250 the TSX outta be awesome. I think the TSX would act like a fmj and just punch through. Just MHO

I use the Barnes 45gr XLC in my Hornet, and occasionally in my 222mag, for coyotes. Fur damage is minimal, probably the best bullet I have used to save fur.

If your 22-250 is a 1-12" twist or a 1-14" twist it may not shoot the 50 gr and heavier TSX bullets very good. Lead free bullets are very long for what they weigh so you need faster twisted barrels to shoot them.

The TSX bullets will be fur friendly but you may have a bunch more runners using them instead of a good lead bullet.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I use the Barnes 45gr XLC in my Hornet, and occasionally in my 222mag, for coyotes. Fur damage is minimal, probably the best bullet I have used to save fur.

I agree, minimal fur damage, DRT.......

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob
but you may have a bunch more runners using them instead of a good lead bullet.

That's not been my experience. In fact, I switched to the 45gr XLC for my Hornet because of to many runners with every other bullet I tried. There has been a marked decrease in runners with the Barnes.

the tsx out of a 250 will HAMMER coyotes. i don't use them anymore cuz of the $$ but the ones i have shot with them have been drt

My experiance is minimal (one coyote) so take it with a grain of salt, but it performed awesome on that one coyote, pin prick entrance, dime size exit, and the coyote spun and bit twice and fell over. I would use it again, it also killed a nice fat young antelope buck the same day.

Aside from the long-for-caliber/stabilization issue you might encounter, it seems they should work well. I don't use them, but I do use a bonded bullet in my .223 that behaves a lot like the Barnes. It acts like a little bitty big game bullet. I like that the more solidly constructed bullets have a much lower tendency to "splash" or otherwise show inadequate penetration; they'll go stem to stern from any angle. That's while breaking bones and destroying vitals along the way>DRT. Those Barnes should do at least as well.

Tougher bullets will almost always exit, which leaves you with two holes every time; but they're typically much smaller holes than a bad hit with a frangible bullet. The most tore-up, raking-shot damage my tough bullets have done is nothing like some of the carnage I've seen from a shoulder or pelvis hit with a frangible bullet.

Back