What bullets to use in a Remington LVSF 22-250

tom223

I am in the process of buying a Rem LVSF in 22-250. I plan on using it for coyote hunting. I do not want to destroy the pelts. So I want to stay away for V-max or other bullets that disinigrate on impact. I am not set up for reloading. Federal sells 55grain Sierra Gameking Boat-tail Hollow points. I do not know if those bullets are to heavy for a 1 in 14 twist. Any info would be help-ful. Thanks Tom

I haven't had problems with the vmax or nosler bt out of my 22-250. As ling as you don't hit shoulder or major bones you won't have any pelt damage. I got a buddy with a 25-06 and shooting a 85gr nosler bt and it only leaves quarter size exits.

That particular bullet is very good for killing stuff. I loaded for 3 22-250's that were used for culling deer last year with that bullet and they work well for that. My personal experience with it on coyotes you will get quarter sized exit holes most of the time as the jacket is fairly tough hence the Gameking designation. If that's not an issue then they should shoot good.

As I posted on the other site, the Gamekings(55gr SP,55gr HP 65gr SP if your rifle will shoot them) will serve you well with a consistent result of a quarter sized exit and a dead dog. If you can afford to shoot them the TSX and Nosler Partition are also a consistent and tough offering. Honorable mention are the 55gr Hornady SP, Nosler 55 and 60gr BT, Hornady 60gr VMax. I have had good luck with the 52gr Match bullets from Sierra and Hornady as well. If I had to choose one it would be a tough decision for me between the 55 or 65gr Gameking. Lots of good choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coythtrMine likes 55gr V-Max, leaves small holes if u dont hit bone.

My lvsf 22-250 doesnt shoot 55 gr. worth a crap. I would keep bullet weights in this gun to no higher than 50 gr. because of the slow twist barrel. My rifle likes 50 gr. vmax and win. white box 45 gr. Neither of the bullets exit and as said above if you dont hit bone the entry hole will be hard to spot. This coyote was hit on the opposite shoulder with a small entry hole. But if you hit bone you can dang near stick your fist in the hole in the hide.

DSCF0732.jpg

The 55gr SGK would be a fine choice, IMO. A 55gr Win Power Point would be another good one.

Heck any old 55gr SP will do really.

I have found Barnes TSXs to do very little pelt damage.....

Hi, I shoot a hiowa axiom 22-250 with a 1:14 rate of twist, I shoot speer sp, they are reloads not factory, but mine shoots them great, I put five in the bullseye @100 yds & you could cover them up with a nickel, I have 14" of drop at 400 yds but it goes downhill pretty fast after that, you will just have to shoot your gun & see what it likes

I have tried a bunch but for saving fur I like the Rem 55 grain PLHP, a hollow point, does not blow up but knocks them dead, near or far.

I already have 50 blitz, tnt's, v-max, and blitzkings that I've used in a 222. Also have some 52 HPBT's on hand still, but when researching what to try in my new Savage Predator Max1 which is a 24" 1in12 twist barrel, I came up with Sierra's 55 SBT #1365 I believe it is, as the one I want to try. But first, I'm going 52 Berger Match Target bullets. I've heard these are very accurate and because of their heavier jacket, should punch better than say the 52 A-MAX which would be more like a V-MAX performance. But the 55 SBT should hold together well and has a BC of like .250 which for .224 cal is toward the high end of the 50-55 class.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yoteslayer77Originally Posted By: coythtrMine likes 55gr V-Max, leaves small holes if u dont hit bone.

My lvsf 22-250 doesnt shoot 55 gr. worth a crap. I would keep bullet weights in this gun to no higher than 50 gr. because of the slow twist barrel. My rifle likes 50 gr. vmax and win. white box 45 gr. Neither of the bullets exit and as said above if you dont hit bone the entry hole will be hard to spot. This coyote was hit on the opposite shoulder with a small entry hole. But if you hit bone you can dang near stick your fist in the hole in the hide.

DSCF0732.jpg

my rem 700 sps varmint found the same results as you "yoteslayer"

Back