Cottontails and the 45-70

Dirtpoodle

I have taken quite a few cottontails with my Browning single shot 45-70, the 420 grain cast bullets at 1900 fps makes them go away in spectacular fashion.

When I lived in South Dakota I would routinely take my 45-70 single shot rifle for rabbit hunting.
I also used cast bullets. I'd aim for the eye. It was always a clean hit or miss. Nothing in between.
I shot a lot a rabbits with my 45-70.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I was thinking of trying the 45-70 on a few prairie dogs.

Go for it... unless you got some tasty prairie dog recipes! Meanwhile, I'll stick to cottontail - lol.
smile.gif

When my dad got his .45-70 Marlin Lever gun back he took it gopher hunting. He got a gopher, well we think, all that was left was a crater. And that was just shooting some cast "plinkers" that he and a buddy loaded.

Quote:I was thinking of trying the 45-70 on a few prairie dogs.

If you can afford it, go for it. I've shot more than a few (long range) with a 7mm mag and a .338 Lapua, but it does tend to make your wallet stand up and take notice. On the other hand it makes those intermediate shots with the .308 seem cheap.

It would'nt be legal here in Mo. Rabbits are game animals here so they must be taken for food. Wanton waste is a pretty big no-no here. If you only made head shots and there was enough left to eat it would probably be ok, but blowing them up would cost you your rifle at least.

Back