great portable bench

22-250ohio

while it may not be a firearm this seems like a great place to post this. these are the latest creation out of my shop. i lurk several forums as i am sure that most of us do and i have been looking for a good portable bench since the first "chillicothe boys" outing after the cooler episode. i found this plan on another forum and they are great thought i would throw a pic up for all of you that are looking for an idea of something to throw in the pickup and shoot off of.
gh023.jpg

lol oh u have no idea. i spent the weekend cutting trim for the bathroom you should see the other side of the shop. there is about 1.5 inches of adjustable thread on each leg to help even them out. if you look closely at the back bench the legs on the narrow end one is located in the center. it was the prototype and it just didnt seem stable enough for me so i added the 4th leg. i may remove them after my ole buddy and me shoot em for a while and see how they work

I built a 3-leg version of this table and could not believe how unstable it was. Jittery as heck! I need to go get a fourth leg. How did you attach them underneath?

i used galvanized floor flanges and also caps so there is some room to level the table for uneven ground also i shimmed the flanges to give them a slight outward angle and that seemed to help greatly

I need to post a pic of my bench too. It is very similar. Only I made the legs more angled which helps with making it more stable & cut out for LH person too. It does also have 4 legs that are adjustable. I've shot off a 3 leg & it's no where near a stout but can be used.

All tables need some sort of adjustable legs. A shovel aint with it....

3 legs are the way to go when properly built unless your setting up on poured and leveled concrete every time. The key is to locate the center of mass of your table, draw a triangle whereas the center of mass is in its center. then using 18-20 degree angled legs and angle them directly outward from the center of mass. And i thought all that calculus was useless!

I have come up with what I feel is a better solution. A 3 legged table, but the single leg is inverted Y shaped and loose where it screws in. That way by turning it you can fit it to uneven ground but it still gives you the side to side stability of a 4 legged table.

Jack

Here is one of two I made out of old banquet table folding legs. 1/2" piece of plywood. Hole cut for handle. Easy to get in and out of back of truck when folded. Solid as a rock.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0353a.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Im4flight the best way I have found to make adjustable legs is to weld a nut on the bottom of the legs and put a bolt in there then you got lots of adjustment.

Same thing I'll be working on except I just need a "right sided one". No need for me to make it so a lefty could use it...so mine will be a tad narrower and also lighter

I make my own and they are similar to the OP's bench. Top looks about the same. The legs are 1 1/4" pipe. There are three of them. They screw into a floor flange under the table. Between the table and the floor flanges is a hardwood wedge that ficks the legs out. The two front ones angle to the front and away from the table. The back one angles straight back. The top is made from 1 1/4" car decking.

t5hough I had a photo but can't find it. It is very stable and I believe the angled legs and 1 1/4" pipe do that. Oh Each leg has a cap on it also.

Back