6.5 284 Rem/age barrel nut project

trap

Rem/age project

Started out with a Remington 700 bdl 30-06 bought at a pawn shop.
Called Jim at Northland Shooter supply (763-682-4296) next day and ordered a 26" light varmint .700 at muzzle in 6.5 284 CBI barrel, over sized recoil lug and a rem/age barrel nut. Jim said to lap the lugs, slot the action for the keeper on the recoil lug, true up the threads, and wait that to long 8-9 weeks for the barrel.
Got on Boyds seconds rack and bought a Feather light thumble hole in shady camo and a savage one too in Nutmeg (second rack).

So i took apart the gun
photo_212.jpg

Lapped the lugs with 600 grit lapping compound( was at about 80-20 contact on lugs)
slotted the bottom of the action for keeper on recoil lug
DSC09922.jpg

Sanded the stock down to a nice finish, and Tru oiled it.
photo_31.jpg

photo_21.jpg

So 9 weeks later a sweet barrel shows up. It was all ready to go so i started the assemble, got it all togather in no time.
photo12.jpg

photo_313.jpg

Took it apart and taped it up, coated it in release agent and glass bedded the action and first 1 1/2" of barrel.
DSC09903.jpg

Put it back togather and got leupold mounts and high set 30mm rings and mounted it with a 6.5-20x50 30mm tube BDC Vortex Viper scope. Took butt plate off and filled hole in butt of gun with weight to balance it just in front of bolt face.

photo_213.jpg

Last edited:
Range Test

First 8 shots with 140 SMK bullet, and Lapua brass at 100 yards.(paper was taped to board so it riped the paper bad when it hit.
photo_112.jpg

Went home and started a new round at the range the nexted day. Sighted it in with the rest of break in bullets then fired a three shot group before latter test.
photo_41.jpg

The next day went out and played around with friends and got in the 1000 yard club. (16" dong)
Shooting 1000 yards with the load that is so light i had to adjust 21.5 moa on turret and hold on bottom of bdc that is 11 moa.

Looks good, & you know its good for 1000yds when you have a need to pop a varmint out there. Saw this on SS also.........:)

I have been wanting to put barrel nuts on my Rems for a long time. Pac Nor makes a really great one.

It's just me but I would float the whole barrel nut and not bed any of the barrel...if you want to change out the barrel or adjust the headspace, you have to re bed. I have free floated 29" Max heavy varmint barrels on rem actions and had them shoot single bullet holes chambered in 22 and 6 PPC for p. dog rigs.

Be sure you free float the bottom of the recoil lug on Rem's.

You sure have done a world class job on this rifle, surely you will enjoy the platform for many years to come. Best thing is that if you want another barrel, just call the gunsmith and have him send you one...no such thing as shipping the rifle to the gun smith!!!!

Look forward to some groups from your gun in the future!

Thanks
I put 10 mil tape on barrel nut and on the bottom of the recoil lug for free float when glass bedding
Shooting varmints at 1000 yards take more than a good gun, but would be glad to poke a hole in a yote that far.

Awesome, I went with a McGowen from Jim in 243w to give new life to a 22-250 I had sittin around. No regrets whatsoever. Very similar accuracy.

SWEET!!!! I love seeing guys doing stuff like this themselves!! I will be ordering a McGowan barrel in 6.5x55 for my DIYS project this next week. Good job, looks like it is a shooter and a pretty one at that!!

Trashcan
DCC

I keep wondering how long until someone puts out a bolt conversion for the R700 to use a floating bolt head like the Savage on the Remington action rails. Your Rem/age seems to be doing better than the others I've seen posted. Good work and great looking rifle
thumbup.gif

i think the next time i get a rem barrel im gonna do the nut job too. i was thinking about it for my mauser but its gonna be a dedicated 308. ill be dumping some money into that one. im sending my action off today to have drilled and trued.

Trap: Question if I may..

Roughly how much wood material did you remove from the stock to do that bedding job??

Great looking job BTW.

Originally Posted By: trap
photo_112.jpg

Tape, stickers, & an earplug. This may be my favorite group pic ever!

I'm surprised more people aren't putting nuts on remingtons. I have even seen a few pick-ups with some hanging from the reese hitch
lol.gif
(JK- it's really not a bad idea... easy for someone to rebarrel themselves)

Looks like a winner! Good shooting.

Looks like it is a shooter for sure. I will do a lot of my own smithing but a nut on any of my Remingtons you will never find. Just seems wrong to me, but hard to argue if it shoots.

When you thread and chamber a barrel you have to make it fit pretty close to the bolt. Not really much more effort to cut the shoulder that screws up to the action to the right length. At most the nut is only good for a few thousandths variation.

Jack

Originally Posted By: trap

The next day went out and played around with friends and got in the 1000 yard club. (16" dong)

I think you meant 16" gong!??!?! Or else I should be greatly humbled!?!?!?!? LMAO!!!

Nice shooting! Nice iron there!

The barrel nut isnt intended yo adjust chamber depth its inted for ease of removal. If youve never worked on a savsge action you dobt know what youre missing. I loved mine. Do a barrel swap in 10 minutes or a cartridfe swap for hunting to target shooting or varmint shooting. Nothing better

Originally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: trap

I think you meant 16" gong!??!?! Or else I should be greatly humbled!?!?!?!? LMAO!!!

Nice shooting! Nice iron there!

I saw that too but just smiled to myself...
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsWhen you thread and chamber a barrel you have to make it fit pretty close to the bolt. Not really much more effort to cut the shoulder that screws up to the action to the right length. At most the nut is only good for a few thousandths variation.

Jack

I looked at the barrel nut before sending my 700 off to be trued and barreled. Stake the lug on a 700, you get the same barrel swap ability with zero slop in tolerance in headspacing. When your out of threads you're done. While it is easier to mail order barrels with the nut, I think you give up a little in barrel to action consistancy in your headspace by a thousands here and there if you routinely swap barrels. It may not hurt, but then again it might on something picky like running VLD's where seating depth is crucial. While it has worked well for the OP's build, I'm still skeptical overall. I'd like to see how consistant it is swapping between barrels versus a set one barrel build. I'm not discounting it yet, just would like to see more accounts before I'm sold.

Back