.22 WMR Remington 597

I've still got the recalled 17 hmr version of the Remington 597. It has never once failed to operate as intended. That's why I've had such a tough time parting with it. However, the last time I shot it a week ago, I discovered a cracked empty and realize it's just a matter of time until I get a out of battery firing.

I'm going to go ahead and do the 22 mag barrel swap that Remington is offering. Looking at the specs for the 30 grain Vmax, it appears as if I'll be giving up very little in veloctity and only a little bit in accuracy.

I hope it's accurate and functions well though, because the 17 version has been fantastic gun in both regards.

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterI know this isnt exactly what you are looking for (considering price) but since you are looking at semi-auto .22 WMRs, there is really only one quality answer that I am personally aware of (but someone might have another suggestion): Volquartsen Custom

These guys really picked up where the 10/22 Magnum left off, and they created some very fine semi-auto rimfire rifles. They are quite similar in design to the Ruger, but they have gone far beyond the Ruger by fixing the quirks that the 10/22 Magnum had, and put higher quality parts in it as well (springs, sear, trigger, etc).

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/20-rimfire-rifles/1-all

253-signature-series.jpg

They also make a 17HMR semi auto.

Other options out there: www.excelarms.com makes a neat ("Accelerator") rifle and pistol in that cal; and C-Z's excellent new autoloader, which was just tested in Outdoor Life magazine, is available in WMR (if you can find one yet.)

Last edited:
Back