Does anyone own a 6.5x47 Lapua ?

CAG

Hi Folks,
Just trying to get a little info on the 6.5x47 Lapua.
My biggest question is how much recoil will or does it have in a heavy rifle? As per the norm, i have way to much time on my hands and not nearly enough money!! i have been looking over the ballistic's of that cartirdge and it is very Impressive! I watch Skinney video shooting his 260 and it is AWESOME.
I hope that someone that has a rifle un the 6.5x47 L will have the time to fill me in.
Thanks for reading!
Greg

I almost built one when I built my 260 Rem. Then I came to my senses:

021.jpg

007-2.jpg

I can see NO advantages in the 6.5x47 over the 260. NONE. It's no secret that any cartridge based on the .308 case tends to shoot well. Very well.

If you check out the results of Camp Perry and the Snipers Hide Cup, apparently they can't see any advantages either. The 260 has done exceptionally well as of late.

Lapua now makes 260 Rem brass. So quality of brass is no longer an issue(like it once was). The 6.5x47 has a smaller flash hole utilizing a smaller primer. For my type of shooting, which often involves very cold temps, this is a trait I do not desire.......

Although I often times agree with 2MG on most things, this is a repeated subject we don't agree...

I do have a 6.5x47L. I built it as a hunting rifle & it weighs ~8.5 lbs & yes; it pretty much duplicates a 260. Even being light weight, it will shoot in the .3’s (that's real life not internet measuring) with 123gr amax’s. The rifle consist of Stiller, Broughton, Jewel, & McMillan parts.

The small primer in cold weather thing might have been a concern many years ago, but with today’s primers & powders, when is the last time you seen temps keep a primer from lighting a charge? Not when is the last time your cousins neighbor had a primer not light, you. If anyone on the board has had this happen PLEASE let me know.

The 260 has nothing against it. I built my rifle before Lapua was making 260 brass, which had always plague it. Now Lapua 260 brass is (from powder valley) $92 with x47 being $88. No win or loss there for either.

As said earlier, the 6.5x47 can hit 260 velocities so no advantage there (for either). However, it takes the 260 more powder, which physically gives it more recoil (although I agree may be somewhat negligible in "felt recoil" but it is there). The more powder also equals more wear. This must give the x47 a slight edge would you say?

Look at ALL the competition results. (If you were trying to build a cartridge based on match wins it WOULD NOT be 260 or 6.5x47 would it?) You will see many 6.5x47L in the mix, likely more than 260. Not that the 260 is not great. I just feel the x47 Lapua has more accuracy potential, is easier & cheaper to load and does the same thing as the 260 ballistically. This is why I feel the x47 has an advantage.

I am currently in the middle of putting together a 17# bench gun chambered in the 6.5x47. Do I think it will be grades above a 260 in the same, prolly not. Do I think a 260 would be better option (more accurate)... absolutely not
tt2.gif

Great Relpies!! I have put toghter a 243WSSM in a AR platform, my reasons are: I allways loved the 243Win and anyone can put toghter a AR. Why I built it? I wanted a rifle that would shoot out a long way and have minor recoil
My back is destoyed and I live in great pain everyday so I can't have a rifle that the recoil puts me in bed for a week.
How does the recoil of the 6.5x47L compare to a heavy 308 bolt gun?
How does the recoil of the 260 compare to a heavy 308 bolt gun?
I thank you guys for the replies and I hope to get more info on this subject.
Thanks
Greg

I do not feel that one is a whole lot better than the other, because that is just not the case.

If one cartridge has a larger primer, and still shoots just as accurately as the other, I'll take the one that throws more fire at the powder every time. It is not about the primer not igniting the powder, it is about it igniting the powder more consistently through a wide range of temperatures. I want it to burn all of the powder all of the time.

The 260 has greater powder capacity and is the faster of the 2 cartridges. The only way the 6.5x47 can keep up with the 260 is to run it at higher pressures. Run the 260 at the same pressure, the 260 wins.

.243 brass is easily necked up to 260 with no fuss, and can be had for much cheaper than 6.5x47 brass.

As for accuracy potential, again splitting hairs, I can see no real advantage of one over the other. I have been shooting 308 based cartridges a very long time now. They all flat out shoot and none are fussy.

From Lapua's website:

"The 260 was used to stunning effect at Camp Perry to win the 2010 championships while setting an incredible new national record in the process. Since it's introduction, 260 shooters have hammered their way into the winner's circles of a wide variety of competitive disciplines, a real testament to the capability of this outstanding cartridge.

Despite it's incredible list of competitive victories, the 260 isn't just a target round......"

Hard to argue with the accuracy of a round that just set the new national record, wouldn't you say.......
tt2.gif
laugh.gif

thumbup.gif
I'm with you on that...

No doubt the 260 is a great cartridge & no doubt Lapua wants people to buy as much of their 260 brass a possible
sneaky2.gif
. I don't get too caught up on "Record Breakers" that much. There are soooo many "records" in the MANY disciplines/formats (the man that built my rifle holds over 20 as a builder, & that's just one little smith from the hicks). I can Google how many 6.5x47L's hold WORLD records if you want though.

I used to have no belief that the case had any influence on accuracy. After many years of "learn'n", I do feel like that is a major piece of the puzzle. Whether it’s the “just right” pressure, flow, bore ratio, whatever; it matters. No doubt the 308 based case has potential too.

I think a man could go 6.5x47 Lapua, 260, 260AI, 6.5 Creedmore or similar & be happy with either decision.

However, the most accurate cartridges in the world by "record holders” (would you not say that consist mostly of PPC & BR case or variants) have small rifle primers. I can’t fathom that is a bad thing!!!

I guess it all depends on your particular shooting discipline. The 6ppcs and BRs and the like, with their SR primers are for guys who shoot from benches and sip out of tea cups on fair weather days.
lol.gif

I mostly lie in the mud and the snow often in very cold temps. This is why I prefer the larger flash hole/primer. You won't see any PPCs or BRs at the shoots I participate in, except some of the 200yd egg shoots which are shot from a bench.

Here are a few pics I took during a match. I don't need to tell you it was kinda cold outside:

100_0355.jpg

100_0360.jpg

Weather can very quickly go from this:
100_0347.jpg

To this:
100_0359.jpg

This guy here just won a match last month with his new 6.5x47 Lapua
blushing.gif

100_0357.jpg

Both are indeed excellent cartridges. IMO the Lapua and Creedmoor are nothing but marketing ploys designed to sell "new cartridges". The reality of it, in my mind, is neither does a single thing any better than the 260......

Don't get me wrong!!! I like my tea sweet
blushing.gif
grin.gif

I know the 6ppc is not setting the 600-1000 yard competitions afire. Therefore I would agree the 6ppc is a shortrange bench gun kinda cartridge. Were conditions are perfect, equipment is the best of the best and shooter malfunction is minimal. Heck, they make them shoot those angled butt stocks so the groups will differ from person to person
blink.gif
. THAT'S why I say they are the most accurate in the world. Short range is less wind to read. Benches & perfect positions reduce shooter error. THAT'S were you see what the cartridge/equipment can do & not as much in the shooter (at least not as much in the mud & snow
laugh.gif
). If BIG flashholes were better (in this game of extreme accuracy) they would shoot big flashholes.

Lapua is now making some 308 cases with the SR primers. I hear there are some crazy cats trying that out. Wonder why?
tongue_smilie.gif

If I'm not mistaken it was the US Palma team that asked Lapua to have a go at the SR primer 308.

The aim was to reduce MV spreads, and the Palma Team found you can expect ~30% reduction in the size of the spreads compared to standard large primer / flash-hole brass based loads. This of course reduces vertical spread on the target at extreme ranges, which is --- Palma competition. They also stated tests found that trying various makes and batches of off the shelf Small Rifle Magnum primers (suggested to be used with the large volume 308 case) produced less variation from lot to lot than with previously used Large Rifle primers.

Take a look at the schedule of the US Palma team and where they shoot. All fair weather matches.....

Like I said the SRP may be better off the bench in between tea and crumpets.........grins

The artical I read said they put their ammo in a freezer overnight & brought it to the range in a cooler. It only varied something like 10 fps (so it obviously went off). I would be fine putting my ammo in the freezer too but I don't really want to climb in the freezer to shoot
lol.gif
. (can I get my tea cup topped off please)

My temps here in NC don't get too cold but I didn't have any hangfires shooting several does in the snow & freezing rain last couple weeks of our deer season; ALL with small rifle primers (non magnum, straight BR4's).

Maybe one day I can get to Michigan & shoot with you boys. I don't think I would get embarresed if my gun didn't go off
scared.gif
. I don't think I would have to worry though.
wink.gif

I read the other day you still havn't fired the 260???? When you gonna shoot that beast? She sure is a looker!

Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?
lol.gif

I guess the way I figure it, since I do not feel the 6.5x47 is any more accurate than the 260, and for the type of shooting I do, I like the assurance factor of the larger primer. I don't think the SRP would increase my scores any. Probably wouldn't decrease them either.

The new 260 is on the shelf til I get some Lapua hulls and have time to shoot it. I have several guns here waiting, but all my weekends have been tied up thus far. Was gonna go this past weekend, but way too hot outside for comfort. I'd rather it were snowing........

I really hate to interrupt a good discussion but is it worth it to ackley a 260 or does it make it a barrel burner.

Definitely. Terry Cross has done exceptionally well at the Sniper's Hide Cup with his 260AIs in past years.

The only reason my rifle is not chambered in 260AI is because the barreled action had already been salt bath nitrided (melonited)before I got it. Once that is done, all rechambering bets are off..........

WOW, A lot of excellent reading!! I thank you all, but I think I am very confused so I guess I need to dig deep and find some ballastics on both.
1badshee, you mentioned the AR 10's, if this was a way that a person was going to go, what is the limit??? Am I wrong by thinking that the 6.5 Creedmoor is the largest cal. that will fit in the AR 10 mags??
OI know that I have tons of reading to do, but the info I get from you all is actucal shooting reports.
Later
Greg

Back