Dog on Dog Agression?

I've been busy the last few days, and just got back to this.
Knockemdown, I'll try to answer your question the best I can.
The thread was about "dog aggression", sic'en a dog on a stray dog in my cattle, is diff, than two dogs fighting over a dead whatever in the feild, or at the tree.
First is expected, second not allowed.
Older dog protecting a weaker "pack member" also expected, and allowed, if justified.
Interesting story,"Saturday, a freind brought a heeler pup over to our house, and turned it out. Dog was typical Heeler,(half nuts)Don't get me wrong I have owned some great ones, but they are "diff". The pup ran up to my daughter, and knocked her down, trying to lick on her,not mean, just no manners. One of my pups heard the baby screaming,ran and throat latched the pup.(the whole thing took seconds, and no harm was done.)
Aceptable or not????????? (I say yes)
I guess what should have been clarified as the thread diverged into diff ?'s , is that in certain cases, it is fine for any dog to bite a human, or bite another dog.
I know my dogs claim this house when I am not home.My wife and daughter have free run, but even my freinds tell me that the dogs are diff, when I'm not around.
On the flip side, I have lost dogs in the desert, and one of the cowboys has brought them home. They say the dogs are big babies, and just happy to see them.
The ? about dogs having judgement, I think the anwer is yes,

Didn't read entire thread but here is my 2 cents.
I hunt fell terriers and I don't expect mine to have "zero" dog aggression. There are times when getting together with friends that our dogs (who are pretty much strangers to one another) might have a lil spat that results in a breaking stick being applied, a few teeth holes incured, and a couple of pimp slaps deployed and after that I "expect" no more of that BS and also NO [beeep] SULKING after disaplined. I expect them to get right back to hunting thoroughly and intensely for the remainder of our day. These dogs don't just hunt up and locate game they catch it with bad intentions.
I don't expect a kennel of choir boys under these circumstances. They are hot potatoes. Generally their more interested in finding and spats with each other is rare, or maybe rare is a bit of an over statement but not something that happens often.
That is my tolerance level. Different men, or other types of dog workers may very. Regards

Dog on dog.

I'm convinced "some" dogs have an excellent memory when it comes to pay-back. Whether it be to a human that mistreated them at one time. Or another dog that beat them.

Many yrs ago we had a Belgian Malinoise pup we got from the pound. Male pup was good natured & friendly. When he was around 6mo's old. One day he ran up to a neighbor hood feral tom cat. Cat was very large & was known not to run from any dog.

Well in a few moments that tom jap slapped our pup. As our pup ran up to it in a friendly manner. As the cat was laying in our yard. I ran over to assist our dog & put the stomp on that stinken cat. Cat bolted away.

Next yr. I was taking our dog for a walk. As we drew nearer our house. We both seen that stinken cat again laying on our yard's hillside. Hmmm
wink.gif
well wouldn't you know it. Our dog slipped off his leash. What are the odds of that? As he seen that cat & "wanted some".

Dog bore down towards that cat. Cat just laid there expecting to beat our dog, like it had done to other dogs. Bad decision on his part LOL! Dog pounded his stinken carcass like a rag doll. Priceless.

Dog-1, cat-0

Last edited:
Kirby, are bragging that your full grown Malinois finally killed his childhood nemesis, a house cat?

Main Attraction, sounds like you've got good dogs. They just need 're-focused' every now & then, right? Seems understandable, given the dogs & their job...

No knockemdown, I called our dog off after he put the munch & shake-down on that cat. I should've let dog finish what he started. But the fight was drawing to much attention in town. I might add, that cat was one of the largest I ever seen. Which I assume is why that cat never ran from any city dog.

dogs-good, cats-bad

Originally Posted By: knockemdownKirby, are bragging that your full grown Malinois finally killed his childhood nemesis, a house cat?

Main Attraction, sounds like you've got good dogs. They just need 're-focused' every now & then, right? Seems understandable, given the dogs & their job...

Yeah man,
they need to be "re-focused" occassionally and realize that not all that has 4 legs is fair game. They hate coyotes and LOVE to get their teeth in them too. However last year I was on an almond farm working an over grown creek line doing coon depredation when I had a Great Pyranese sp appear in their path growling and barking his head off threatening them. I had two on the ground about 20 lbs each and like a rocket they nailed him with the male in the big white dogs shoulder and the gyp on the head with all three tumbling into a large bunch of black berry bushes. I sprinted over to find them in the thick briars with the Pryanese' mouth wrapped around my males head while trying to get him off his shoulder and the gyp working the his head. I eventually got em parted and the pyranese retreated back to his flock of goats who was on the opposite bank eating weeds. Guess the pyranese didn't know he was traspassing and protecting the wrong property and my fells were wrong too when they thought they had the coyote of a lifetime!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Back