22-250...Hornady 50 and / or 55 gr VMAX

sully2

Anyone using either or both of these bullets seen any real difference in performance or accuracy?? Ive been switching back and forth...depending on what Midway USA had on sale in the 250 setup.

Any good info on these bullets appreciated.

Sully

Originally Posted By: whitey21My savage likes the 55s better. 1:12 twist. I back it with either 38gr of h380 or 36gr of varget.

?? Hmmmm...OK Whitey. Im shooting varget myself...35-36 grains and the 55's seems to shoot fine for me even with my S..L..O..W twist barrel ( 1:14) but that'll be cured in the stiller.

Thanks again

Last edited:
There is a small difference between the groups of 50 and 55s. But the 55s shoot several different charge sizes well (50s are a bit pickier about their charge weight), and have smaller groups than the 50s with the same charge.

This is with my rifle of course. Savage 12FV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whitey21There is a small difference between the groups of 50 and 55s. But the 55s shoot several different charge sizes well (50s are a bit pickier about their charge weight), and have smaller groups than the 50s with the same charge.

This is with my rifle of course. Savage 12FV.

Ahhh...OK. I'll remember that. I havent beenb varying my powder charges much...attempting to get something at least semi accurate and yet still enough speed to blast a PD....
grin.gif

Ive got 200-250 more rounds to go to take to SD next month...and Im sure I'll have an assortment before Im done...Sierra slugs also..

I myself prefer Noslers or Vmax's! Hold together better and get ALOT less splashes on dogs.

I load 50gn NBT's over 40gns of H-380 in winchester brass and Win large rifle magnum primers.

Have you considered the DogTown or Varmint Nightmare bullets. They are made by Nosler. Good bullets at a good price. Intended game? Pdog shooters love em and pdog fear em. God on yotes too!

How's the Stiller build coming?

Originally Posted By: Mxracer532I myself prefer Noslers or Vmax's! Hold together better and get ALOT less splashes on dogs.

I load 50gn NBT's over 40gns of H-380 in winchester brass and Win large rifle magnum primers.

The Noslers shot ok in my gun. They were sub moa but not near as tight as the Vmaxs.

I've tried Vmaxes several times and I have never gotten them to shoot very good. I prefer Sierra Blitzkings.

This is my load data and it works great!

Howa Sportsman 1500 .22-250 1:14 twist
IMR 4895 36.5 grains
55gr VMAX
Remington brass
Winchester large rifle primers
C.O.L. 2.360"

ive started stocking up on the dogtowns, theyre cheap and shoot as good if not better in my 223 and 204. my buddy tried some in his 250 and likes them too. cannt beat 12 bucks a hundred either

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishive started stocking up on the dogtowns, theyre cheap and shoot as good if not better in my 223 and 204. my buddy tried some in his 250 and likes them too. cannt beat 12 bucks a hundred either

$13-$14 a hundred is what I give for the Vmax and about 1$ more for Sierra's. When Midway runs a sale on them I buy several hundred. I dont shoot some of the HIGH priced spred like Bergers that cost $25-27 a hundred and are NEVER on sale

Are you a self appointed shadow who volunteered to harass me or were you assigned that position by PM..??

And your correct...Your experience doesnt mean a thing to anyone but you! That was YESTERDAY....come in to today

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishive started stocking up on the dogtowns, theyre cheap and shoot as good if not better in my 223 and 204. my buddy tried some in his 250 and likes them too. cannt beat 12 bucks a hundred either

"nasty": I think you know that when I used the term NEVER...it indicated "rarely"..."seldom"..."not often"..."once in a blue moon"...etc. It DID NOT mean in all actuality NEVER as NO WAY IN ****..ever.

I hope Ive cleared that up for one of the smart "so and so's" on the BB

Last edited:
I cant understand for the life of me why someone that has NOTHING positiive..or even relavant about the subject matter at hand feels they HAVE TO barge into a thread with nothing but "verbal" trash. Low self esteem I suppose???

Back