.22 WMR Remington 597

goldengun4

Have yall heard anything about this gun? I'd like to get a .22 Mag in a semi auto. I could also use a LR but I'd really like to get a .22 Mag. Too dang bad they stopped making the Ruger 10/22 mag...

Thanks
zach

I have a Remington 597 mag and its my favorite rimfire in the safe. The factory trigger sucked so I installed a Volquartsen target hammer. That brought the trigger weight down considerably. I changed out the synthetic stock to this Boyds laminate stock. I have a Nikon 4-12x40 BDC on it. Now its a shooter! It shoots great out to 125 yds. I shoot bobcats,coons,small game, and plink with it. It likes CCI 30 gr TNT hollow points. Good rifle IMO.
2011-07-03_14-23-02_772.jpg
2011-07-03_14-24-15_210.jpg

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonI know Remington is buying them back or offering a voucher for a replacement gun....

You know this huh?
scared.gif
I think you're just a little mixed up on your facts.

I had/have the 17hmr version. I really liked the rifle it shot real well. I never had any issues with the rifle. When they wanted to buy them back at the lowball offer I called them and raised [beeep] about it. I got them to rebarrel it to 22mag but haven't shot it yet. I have a bunch of mags and a nice leather mag pouch for it so I didn't want to get rid of the gun. Also my wife had bought it for my christmas one year. I do know that Remington now offers to rebarrel the guns. If it shoots like the 17 I will be really happy with it.

Here's a 5 shot group at 100 yards from mine. Im no benchrest shooter but not bad IMO. I've killed more critters with this rifle than any other in my safe.
2011-07-03_16-18-55_937.jpg

I own 8 CZs already so Iam waiting for 512 22 Mag to show up in my area some guys on rimfire central just picked thiers up they say the trigger sucks but some of them are working on some fixes for the trigger,one fella fired his and said he had no failure to feed and eject and was getting 1/2" groups at 50 yds. Outdoor life had a little write up on the 512 22 rimfire they were amazed at the accurcy they were getting with it but they to complained about the trigger also. Just another one to think about

I just plan on using it for coons and rabbits but wanted something with a little more power than the LR. I may just go with the LR just because of ammo costs. I'll put a little red dot on it and just go to town on coons and little vermin.

Originally Posted By: goldengun4I just plan on using it for coons and rabbits but wanted something with a little more power than the LR. I may just go with the LR just because of ammo costs. I'll put a little red dot on it and just go to town on coons and little vermin.

Have you ever heard someone say "I wish I had a smaller truck"?

I think you'd be in the same boat if you got a 22LR instead of a WMR. I understand your concern about ammo cost, but the added range and knockdown power make the WMR well worth the added expense.

Since I bought my .22 mag, I haven't shot my .22 LR in the four years since I bought my Henry. It's a hoot to shoot and makes short work of varmints.

What he just said!! Since my first Magnum 30years ago I havent pick up a 22LR and never will!! If the law came to me tomorow and said I can only have but one gun rimfire or centerfire it would be my 22 magnum!

Do y'all know of anywhere I could fin a good used 10/22 mag? I may also just end up with the 597 from Remington. Hearin y'all talk about the 22 mag just gives me the itch for one.

I have seen then for $250 - $400 separate places, but no one seems to respond to WTB ads. I know there was one recently for sale at $375 in Texas. I really want one, but don't know what I would do with one. Hence the .22WMR in the sig

Last edited:
I had a 597 in 17HMR which is the one they recalled. Only thing I didn't care for was the mags which didn't always work without hanging up a round or two. Not sure if the 22 mag has the same issue. If you can find a 96/22m that would be another way to go.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonI know Remington is buying them back or offering a voucher for a replacement gun....

You know this huh?
scared.gif
I think you're just a little mixed up on your facts.

Originally Posted By: yotesniper13
Grizzly Johnson said:
I know Remington is buying them back or offering a voucher for a replacement gun....

Maybe you're thinking of the 17 hmr model?

Yes I was thinking about the .17hmr. I am sorry I was mixed up.... I'm only human.

Originally Posted By: DustHence the .22WMR in the sig

I agree 100%. With Alexander Arms making a .17 HMR upper for the AR platform, it couldnt be too unrealistic to expect someone to release a .22 WMR AR-15...

That sure would make for one heck of a varminter rifle!

I know this isnt exactly what you are looking for (considering price) but since you are looking at semi-auto .22 WMRs, there is really only one quality answer that I am personally aware of (but someone might have another suggestion): Volquartsen Custom

These guys really picked up where the 10/22 Magnum left off, and they created some very fine semi-auto rimfire rifles. They are quite similar in design to the Ruger, but they have gone far beyond the Ruger by fixing the quirks that the 10/22 Magnum had, and put higher quality parts in it as well (springs, sear, trigger, etc).

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/20-rimfire-rifles/1-all

253-signature-series.jpg

The 22 wmr magazines are supposed to hold eight. Mine only function properly when loaded with five. If I load more than five they get stuck and have to be removed.

Back