AR15 shooters, WHY ?

RawRedTBone

Anyone else ever notice that when you are at the shooting range, you can spot a black rifle shooter as soon as he steps out of his car ?

He is the guy wearing cammie pants and the 'sniper bar and grill' or 'you'll only die tired' shirt when it is certain he has never been in the military. Maybe he was in the the airforce if you count that.

He is also the guy shooting the 'people targets' to get sighted in or test loads of hornady TAP ammo.

i don't get it ? What is up with these wannabe Rambos ? Do they really need XXXXXXX-Large milspec camo and combat boots to shoot off the bench at 100 yards ? And why do they feel the need to go around and annoy other people during cease fires ?

Tell me that is not all true ?

Well, I don't look like that when I take mine to the range.

And yes, I am a vet of the USAF and I do count that. Along with my dad's 30 years of service, 28 of which were in the same.

Granted, there are some like you describe, but not just with AR-15's. I've seen them with SKS, AK-47 as well as bolt actions. It's an attitude, not a weapon.

I've never dressed like that either. None of my friends that enjoy semi-auto hunting/target rifles do either. I see a lot of match shooters (dressed normally) using them often though. What kind of low brow area do you reside anyway?

I do notice a few people get their panties in a wad at the mere sight of a "black rifle" though. Must be hell to have an inferiority complex.

Their wannabe's for sure, but........I can also spot a cowboy shooter as soon as he gets out of a truck too! 2 holstered 45's on each hip, big hat, boots, scarf, etc. These guys shoot targets that look like....I can't even name them all.

Then there the shotgun guys. They get out of the caddies, with aluminum gun cases, shooting vest and gloves,patches everwhere, yellow shooting glasses. They even shoot little clay disk that they call birds!

I guess the best answer is these guys do it because the constitution says they can.

I guess I'm the odd ball, using a cowboy hat, and sitting on the ground, next to a shooting bench, using, shooting stixs, and my targets are paper plates, and people,asked why do you use a AR for,,, for hunting. I've let some of these bench shooters, shoot my AR, and most of them, want one after that, once you shoot a AR, your other rifles will collect dust. as for wanabees, they just want to be bigger than they are, most of the time its all talk.

It's a free country that embraces the rights of the individual to do what they please within the law.

Don't like it? Don't do it.
Don't like others doing it? Too bad. Learn to live with it, or move to England. I'm sure you won't see much of that sort of thing there.

Hey, I resent^H^Hmble that remark.
smallyote1.jpg

I think the point is that you are stereotyping.
It'd be like me saying "Ever notice how butchers and meatpackers are all high school dropouts."

There ARE goobers like you describe but they don't fit neatly into the category of AR owners.

Well, we wouldn't want to stereotype-- we might draw the right conclusion!

Tim the ToolMan, you obviously don't fit that stereotype. Just look at ya, man!
Mickey, I know noone on earth could offend you.

TonyLocust, now don't tell me: You're an A-Man, too, aren't you?

I used to think that any thing like an ar15 was bad news for the shooting comminity. I saw them as a discrace to our constitution because only criminals would want them. I used to feel the same way with pistols and semi automatic shotguns. I then became a member here and saw that these "evil" rifles are the cats meow, and you know what, I really really really want one and I support bushmaster as well. I also got my first ahndgun, and you knwo what, I was wrong on that again, I now take one with me everywhere I go hunting. Recently we had a quak from a hope house(dating violence thing) come in and speak of dating violence and rape to the class. She stated that guys dont always have guns on them to commit these crimes and that no one ever takes a gun with them on a date. Thats when I stepped up and said well when I get my ccw liscnce Ill have one at all times, but I will know how to use it and when not to even think of it. As for thesemi auto shotguns, I really want a Berreta right now. I think this post was targeted at people due to jealusy and is what I call steriotyping as well.

RawRedTBone,

Good one. Tonlocus, even better. Even though your post was in jest, (I think), I don't think it's us AR guys -- at least all of us -- that fit that description. We've all seen the burn out who shows up at the range in full camo, looks like he hasn't slept in four days, smells like a goat, chain smoking Marlboros, and drinking coffee that looks like motor oil, and quite frankly scares the rest of us. He may or may not have an AR, but you can bet he's got a few weapons in the car. To answer your question, I shoot an AR because it's the only rifle, other than a Sako, that fits perfect every time I shoulder it. Also, it just happens to be, in a lot of our minds, the coolest gun to shoot. But I sense something else. I feel the conflict within you. All of this talk about the Black Rifle has you confused and interested in The Dark Side. Join us and meet your destiny. Bring balance to the world. Just a thought.

Blake

Now just hold on there, fellas. T-Bone's new here and really hasn't had a chance to test the water. Don't start the attack until we're sure he deserves it. After all, look how long you gave LocoHead, lol.
I think what he's trying to say is that what he mostly see's at the range are the attention whores. They are so pathetic that they dress as flamboyantly as they can. I'm sure they even wear utility belts with a machette and scabbard, a 6-pack of (loaded) 30 rnd magazines, etc. And just in case you STILL didn't notice them, they come over and bug everybody during cease-fire.
Is that about what you were trying to say T-Bone?

Rude red sh@t stirrer-what's your point anyway?
Were you looking in the mirror when you started this topic? Tim-I think you hit the nail on the head, bigtime!! :rolleyes:

Gee, and here I am getting ready to buy a stripped lower receiver to build an AR. Didn't know I was going to have to change my dress, personality and all. Got a gun safe full of bolt actions and frankly, I'm just ready to try something different. Sometimes it's just a real disadvantage having a bolt gun in your hand when 2 (or more) coyotes come into the call. I don't care who you are, you just can't cycle the bolt and get back on target as fast as you can with an AR. Seems awful funny to see some guy trying to divide gun owners against each other. Isn't that what we have those brain dead liberals for!?!?!? Now here's a thought. Maybe he is one of those brain dead liberals trying to pass himself off a one of the good guy gun owners!!!

Didn't like them much myself, but a few years ago a friend told me he was getting more coyotes in a calling scenario, than any other custom bolt gun he ever used, and at longer ranges. So i had to investigate (see my article in Varmint Hunter 7/02-- A coyote's worst nightmare). These guns (custom) will outperform any bolt gun I've ever seen, if you're into #'s of coyotes/season. and in a prairie dog town nothing will compete within the case capacity of the .223 Rem. or derivatives.

fdc8d846.jpg

Hated the looks of those Rambo-things. But one day made the mistake of handling one....

So I bought my first AR when I was 65 years young. But I don't exactly fit your profile. (And yes, I know you didn't mean it. You just like to stir things up.........)

Got anything constructive to contribute????

Back