loads needed for a 223 wssm

BOBTAILS

I just picked up a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 223 wssm for my boy's first coyote rifle. It is a 1:12 twist. Any loads would be appreciated. Rob.

Originally Posted By: 454 PumaI sure hope he's going to reload for it! Cause the cartridge is almost obsolete! Only Winchester is making it!
don't worry I only reload. I just need brass!

Graf's & Son's usually has Winchester and Federal brass for the 223wssm.

For my son's Browning, I like RL19 and H4831sc under a 60gr Btip. Fast and accurate.

Other good powders include 4350, 4064, RL17, Varget. RL17 was made for the wssm/wsm line. I'd also look at Hybrid 100V.

My son used a 60gr Vamx @ 3,700+fps for 2 years. Very accurate, but it left some big holes and we had some splash wounds, so he switched to Nosler 60gr Btip.

The 60gr Vmax liked RL19 and the 60gr Btip likes H4831sc.

Rob, I've had good luck with Varget for the lighter bullets and H4831SC and RL-22 with the heavy bullets. Your 1:12" twist won't spin much over a 60gr, so I'd say stick with Varget & maybe a 55gr Gameking or NBT. H414 would be worth a try, too...

Also, I've got PLENTY of brass, so if'n ya need an extra hundred, lemme know...

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDI have a 223 WSSM bolt gun and run Varget and 55gr NBT in it. Kills coyotes well when I use it.

Stay after them
Kelly

Thanks Kelly, how much varget are u using?

Back