best .223 ammo for bobcat?

tpafire5

I am looking for the best ammo for not damaging the fur. I will be going after my first this year and want it done right. I have a coyote carbine 16".

Gonna be tough to do. If you reload look at sine reduced loads. If you don't try to stick with a heavier constructed bullet and hope you don't hit bone.

I'm sorry but do not use an fmj. Regardless of your views on them they just plain and simple don't work for quick/clean kills.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI'm sorry but do not use an fmj. Regardless of your views on them they just plain and simple don't work for quick/clean kills.

+1

I used a 50 gr vmax in my 223. You can look at my kill in varmint hunting section. Title is not exactlt p dogs or coyotes. My brother in lae is holding my cat i shot at just over 480 yds in a cut corn field. It left maybe a silver dollar hole in the off shoulder. Thats the side showing. If you hit bone your going to tear the hide up. If it was up to me and i new they wound come close enough id use a shotgun at about 30 yards with some 5 or 6 shot

The Berger MEF 30gr. hollow point is fast and accurate with little deformation in my experience. You might try some out on some freezer burned meat or wet phone books and see how they do for you. I run them in reduced loads, so I don't know if they would perform different in your AR or not. I saw nice wound channeling in a thawed out turkey roast at a distance of 50yds with no signs of blow out. I later shot a gray fox with a passthrough and had no damage, but I did have a tough tracking job as I had a less than ideal hit. Entry and exit were about .22 caliber sized with no tearing.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI'm sorry but do not use an fmj. Regardless of your views on them they just plain and simple don't work for quick/clean kills.

Absolutely!
And they ricochet forever.
Most of the people who say use FMJ bullets never have or they would not say to use them.

Jack

I checked and your gun has a 1/9 twist so with that in mind and also making the assumption that you are going with factory I would try the Black Hills with the 60gr Vmax. I am not sure how many bobcats Yellowhammer(Sean) has shot with that load but I know I called up a few this past year that he took with no damage. I believe his DTech has a 1/8 twist but you should get similar results. I would avoid the 40gr VMax as I had several splash wounds on Bobcats with that bullet with a 1/12 twist barrel. With my 1/9 twist I have shot several with the 52gr Berger and sometimes its great but I have had some exits also.

I would use a 52/53 grain hollow point...could still mess up the fur but the vmax is pretty destructive on cats...I have even had it blow up yote hides...with the HP it will most likely have an exit hole but in my experiance they are not to bad.

A lot of bullets COULD work some of the time depending on the range...

try the Sierra 40 gr. HP or Speer 52 gr. HP, maybe the Hornady 50 gr. SX. All will likely blow an exit hole at shorter ranges on a bobcat.

At 100 yards, least likely with the 40 gr. if loaded down to 2800 FPS or so.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: tpafire5My shot will more than likely be within 50 yards.

Then use a shotgun and BB-size shot from a full choke.

Back