Removing Krylon Paint from Gun, Brakleen??

Jhedges

Ok i am getting ready to repaint my 17 HMR, it has been about 5 years since i did it last and some of the paint is flaking off, because i didnt use a clear coat after the Krylon and I wanted to remove all of the paint from the gun and repaint.

Now to the real question. Is Brakleen safe? I dont want to completely ruin my gun by doing this but I am wanting to find a way to remove the paint entirely from the gun. I have read around that the non Chlorinated version of brakleen is the best but not to use it on plastic. The gun is a Savage 93R17 synthetic stock.
Thanks for any help.

ya just pull the stock and soak it down. the berrymans cleaner works great too. take it easy on aluminum. some cleaners will pit it. put some on a q tip and dab it on the bottom of the reciver to check before you spray it off

I used Aircraft Remover. It bubbles the paint right off and did no damage to the synthetic stock. It is a bit caustic. Take it out side and wear gloves. Spray on, let sit for about 5 min then scrape with a plastic putty knife. Have a garden hose ready and rinse the rest. (Especially in the checkering, etc) Wear gloves or you will have the grittiest, dried, and grimy hands.

A/C Remover

I just removed some Krylon from one of mine...I used Easy Off Oven Cleaner and it worked pretty well...The only problem I ran into was that I had primed it with a self-etching primer before painting and it wouldn't touch that..
rolleyes.gif

The bright side is that the initial finish on the rifle is now impervious to other caustic substances...
grin.gif

I just did mine again and I tried some graffeti remover that worked ok at best acetone was not real good either it took a lot of scraping and several hours to get the paint off. I will use different products next time.

Methylene chloride based paint stripper--any lowes. Some of the california-safe strippers work as well. These are the "aircraft" strippers mentioned above--they do work great.

I used paper towels to wipe off the bubbled paint.
fine steel wool.
Duracoat is a must

Drop

I used the non-chlorinated Brakleen, and the paint just bubbled off, now i sprayed some on my barrel and it didnt do a thing. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it didnt do anything even after wiping with a wire brush. I didnt want to damage the barrel so i didnt scrub it down, and i just cleaned it again and resprayed it. It turned out pretty well but is that ok just spraying over?

Back