Any Nascar Fans???

Face it guys, NASCAR didn't even suggest any changes be made UNTIL 3 drivers got their necks wrung. It was no big deal until Ernhardt gets killed and everybody acts suprised and NASCAR sez:
"Golly, think we oughta do something?"
"Well, we really don't like to makes rules requiring safety equipment. I suppose we could tell 'em about that HANS device thing."

They let guys race with wingtip street shoes (Marcus)and some old POS seat with springs in the bottom (Big E) because that's what they are used to. And that's in the big buck Winston Cup series!!!

They still don't mandate closed face helmets or nomex hoods.

Go to a short track that is NASCAR sanctioned and they leave the rules up to the track. None require basic safety equipment such as bladder type fuel cells, haylon fire bottles or Nomex suits and SA rated helmets. They allow seamed tubing and stamped 1/8" gussets. All bad stuff waiting to happen.

They don't have any problems requiring everything under the sun just to keep the cars close, but they don't want to tell the drivers what safety equipment they must use. With a corporate philosophy like that, where do you think their priorities lie? Selling tickets and sacrificing a few drivers to do it, that's where.

How much of the $40 million a year that Winston pays NASCAR do you think goes into safety research? An earlier post mentioned CART, IRL, and other open wheel classes as being dangerous, look at what they have done persuing driver safety. They spend tons of money on research. As a matter of fact, recent research they have conducted has proven that some of the safety mandates required by the DOT in passenger cars may actually be doing more harm than good.
Sure guys get killed racing Indy cars or F1, but it sure isn't because they don't give a damn like NASCAR.

If you enjoy outcome based racing where they change the rules on a weekly basis so nobody goes faster than anybody else, just to sell tickets, then WC, Busch, and the truck series is the ticket.

If you like races where the sanctioning body issues the competitors restrictor plates and shocks so nobody goes faster than anybody else, just to sell tickets, then NASCAR is the ticket.

If you like watching cars going nose to tail for 500 miles with their gas pedals on the floor for the entire distance, with nobody going faster than anybody else,then NASCAR is the ticket. But the bonus is you may get to see 1/2 of the field is taken out in a single accident. That sells tickets!

If you like seeing V-8 powered, 2 door rear wheel drive Taurus' that don't exist anywhere else, and still believe you are watching a "stock car", then NASCAR is the ticket.

There's no denying that it's popular, but then so is the WWF.

And if you think the facts make me sound like a whiney-assed sissy....oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It still sux.

Well, I have to agree with you on that Mike. CART, IRL etc seem to spend a lot more time mandating safety and updating saftey than NASCAR does. And I still do wonder if it hadn't been Big E killed if they would've done anything.

I can't remember exactly what it was but when my uncle was hurt they directly went into researching how to fix the problem(and did) that made him get hurt. See, when he hit the wall the tire came up and hit him in the helmet nearly killing him because the tire basically flew off the car and came back off the wall. It might be that the tires are now fastened to the wheel suspension now and also it exposed a weakness they didn't know of in the helmet itself(which was the main thing I think), I forget what exactly it was though.

Anyways, my point there is they do things right off the bat instead of waiting for it to happen again and again and then half-assedly doing something. So, in that part I respect your opinion on it. I still love to watch it though, but then again I love all vehicle racing. _v101

Back