told to try 20 GA coyote shell

COYKILL

I was told to try 20 GA #3 Buck but legally can't use buckshot here at night so wondering what are my other options. I use Hevi shot T shot in my 12 GA but they don't offer it for the 20GA. It is for when my wife comes with me coyote hunting.

I just called Hevi Shot and they said to try the 2 shot as mentioned above. Anyone have any experience shooting a coyote with a goose load? Is the 2 shot big enough?

I killed a rabid dog once at twenty yards with a 2 3/4 #6 game load from my 16 guage. Keep about the same range with a tight pattern and you should be fine. Make sure you pattern it. I cant shoot my 12 past 30 yards with #4buck. Not tight enough even with the coyote choke.

N WOLF try some Hevi shot Dead Coyote for yout 12 gauge. Mine with the patternmaster choke gets nice patterns at 40 yards

Just for kicks I typed ".20 gauge" in that Predator Masters Google Custom Search bar at the top of the headers and received 8 pages of information.

My son used to shoot 3" copper plated BB out of his single shot youth model 20 gauge and killed many coyotes at moderate range with it. He used that gun till I felt he was big enough to use a 12 gauge. I had him limited to about 30 yard shots but it was effective.

drscott

I looked at most of the "20 gauge" in the search but most are not about shotgun ammo. I called Federal and the guy there said Prairie Storm #4 shot should work well for coyotes with its flight control wad. Anyone use this?

There's a whole bunch of better stuff available for a 20ga than #4 shot. You have been given some good advice in this thread and at least one other thread where you asked about shotgun loads. Maybe you should re-read that advice?

I started duck hunting and learned that most shotguns have almost the same vecoicty(20,16,12,or 10). Its my opinion that the only differince is the number of pellets, and the pattern, aka, choke. Me personaly, if you stayed within 30 to 35 yards you would be fine with a 20 gauge full choke. Modifide you might want to stay in the 25 to 30 yard range.

IMG_2314.jpg

Above are two different 12 gauge loads that won't kick real hard.

The Hevi-Shot 2-3/4" Personal Defense 1 oz "T" shot load has 35 pellets in it

The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Rem HD BB load should have right at 60 pellets in it. Bass Pro Shops had a great price on these Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense loads a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: mark shubertThe man is asking about 20 ga loads.
Mark

I knew that.

I just wanted to let everybody know that there are some good 12 ga loads that will kick the same or less than the 20 ga loads and they are better for coyotes than the 20 ga loads.

I ordered #2 shot from Hevi shot, Federal buckshot and Prairie Storm #4 shot so I will see what patterns the best and go from there. Thanks for the replys.

#4 shot will most likly pattern better but don't let that make you think it's better. Once shot a coyote with 12 gauge #4 shot turkey loads at 20 yards. 3 shots to put him on the ground 2 more to the head when he kept trying to get back up and a 20 pound rock to finally finish him off.

4 buck will kill em in thier tracks. Never used #2 heavy for em so I don't know.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLI ordered #2 shot from Hevi shot, Federal buckshot and Prairie Storm #4 shot so I will see what patterns the best and go from there. Thanks for the replys.

The Hevi-Shot #2s should be much better than the buckshot and the #4s. The #4s may pattern better but they won't penetrate near as deep as the heavier than lead Hevi-Shot #2s will.

Thanks frozenbutt and derbyacresbob. I will see how thet all pattern and then probably use the Hevi shot for coyotes and the #4 shot for turkeys. Thanks again.

You might want to take a look at these, I haven't tried them YET.

20ga 1 1/4oz Nickel plated BB's

http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20GA234BB%2F25

AWS

Back