RUGER 77/22 HORNET RANGE REPORT

Ricky Bobby

I'm finally getting around to punching some paper with my Hornet handloads that I've worked up. Keep in mind that this is the very first load I've ever worked up for my Hornet, and that I'm completely new to reloading in general! My load consist of 12.3gr of Lil' Gun with a Hornady 35gr V-max bullet and a CCI small pistol primer in Winchester brass. I have posted 2 pictures of the same group, but put a quarter with one for a size comparison. The group measured .892 with my caliper and I'm getting lots of groups averaging this size. I'm shooting at a distance of 100yards and I'm shooting off sandbags across the rack of my fourwheeler. Man, I've got to get me a good shooting bench! I know my groups would tighten up some if I was shooting off a good bench. I shot a nice big male coyote back in March with this same load and he run about 40yards and piled up! I believe I posted it, also. I just can't make up my mind if I should play around with this load or not! I am completely satisfied with it for hunting and calling purposes, but I'm always asking myself if it can be a little better. I guess that's part of reloading! Hope that you enjoy, thanks!
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg

I think your Ruger .22 Hornet is a shooter!!! I'm still working on mine to get it straight. Here's a write up I did .... I'm going to free float her here shortly and put in a Timney sear and sear spring and see if that helps out my cause... But great job for being a newbie at reloading!!!

Ricky, may I offer you some advise?

I killed quite a few coyotes with the 40g Speer Sp. This is a high velocity bullet and the shape of the bullet will allow you to touch the lands while still using the ruger magazine.

You will be very happy with how the 40g speer punches holes through shoulders, ribs, spine, and hip joints on quartering shots. Also, the price will not break the bank.

You will have to use a thick cup primer such as a Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR-4 with little gun, and the accuracy node will be very close to max.

Good luck!

Not to bad of group! My 77/22 22 hornet hated lil gun, I am getting MUCH better groups with H-110, bout 1/2" at 100 with 5 shots. If you get bored, you should work up some test rounds with h-110 an see if you tighten up! Good shooting!

Ackleyman,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but why do you recommend a thicker primer cup?

According to Hodgdon, Lilgun is supposed to give higher speeds and about 25% lower pressures, than other suitable Hornet powders.

I have been using 13.0grs of Lilgun, 45gr Barnes XLC, and small pistol primers for at least 10 years now. My load chrono's around 2,900fps out of my 20" Ruger M77. Very good coyote medicine.

By the way, nice shooting!

Last edited:
You will find out in a skinny minute if your hornet has an over size firing pin hole in the bolt...mine did. It took extra thick primers to keep the primers from piercing.

I got great accuracy, and I really stomped on the gas with my loads.

Last edited:
Take your projectile up to a 40 or 45gr VMax with about 12.8 Gr of Lil Gun and I would guess your groups shrink a little.

Also, have only had 1 pierced primer on a hornet using pistol primers and that was during work up loads.

I think you're getting real close to the magic formula and you're on the right track.

Thanks alot everyone for your advice! I'd just like to mention that I haven't had a chance yet to fall back to the 200yard mark and try shooting this load, and I am skeptical about it. The lighter bullets tend to drop off pretty fast with the Hornet! I do have some 40gr V-max's on hand that I may try loading, since my loads intended purpose is for taking coyotes! I know that my rifle always shot the Remington 45gr factory ammo rather well, and the Hornets are well-known for liking bullets at that weight. To be honest, when I'm calling on a stand, I rarely have shots over 100-150 yards. It would still be nice to be able to be confident out to 200, though. The biggest problem is making sure my cartridge OAL will work with the rotary clip, but I'm not complaining, I absolutely love the design of these drop out rotary clips. I'm not afraid to try other recipes because I know that I have this one that I can always fall back to. Thanks, and keep giving me good advice!

ackley, next time I make a bullet purchase I'll give the 40gr Speer's a try! Why not? There is only one way to find out! Also, I don't see how you guys are getting close to 13gr powder in those tiny Hornet cases. My load of 12.3gr Lil' Gun leaves barely enough room for the bullet to be seated, so I'm assuming you guys are compressing your loads.

Ricky, love reading about the 22 hornet, you have a great shooting rifle! Give Sierra a try also, Ive been shooting the 45gr. Sierra Hornet SP for years and years and I think its one of the best for the old Hornet.

Marco, one thing I can say for sure is that my Hornet has always patterned really well! If I get a group with a couple misplaced shots, I know it is me and nothing else. I can't say that about my other rifles. It really doesn't seem to be a picky eater, either. Does anyone know how many rounds a person can get down the pipe of a Hornet, before it may have to be replaced? I'm just curious because that will be a sad day if I ever reach that point with this rifle.

Originally Posted By: HeadHunter204Not to bad of group! My 77/22 22 hornet hated lil gun, I am getting MUCH better groups with H-110, bout 1/2" at 100 with 5 shots. If you get bored, you should work up some test rounds with h-110 an see if you tighten up! Good shooting!

What you pushing with the H110? And speed? And your whole recipe if you don't mind, lol....
wink.gif

In regard to how we get that much powder in a hornet case, I use a RCBS 17 caliber drop-tube and it is a compressed load. I use 13.2 grains of Lil Gun and a 40 grain Sierra hornet bullet with CCI 400 primers with no problems. In my opinion you will have to worry about replacing your hornet barrel sometime in your second lifetime.

I also have a compressed load using 13.0grs Lilgun. Remington cases have a bit more room than Winchester and RWS.

What I noticed with Lilgun is, the heavier the bullet, the closer the SD became. Using the 40gr bullets, I had 150fps swings, going to the 52gr Matchking, dropped them to about 30fps.

If you take care of the old hornet clean it when it needs it, I don't think you can shoot the barrel out. If you average 2,500fps you can get maybe 25,000, 30th rounds I would think, and that would be a [beeep] of alot of shooting.

If I were to guess, I'd say I'm somewhere between 700-900 rounds so far. I figured since the Hornet is not a hot round, it will last quite some time! I can not lie, I haven't been the best at keeping the barrel cleaned. I bet I can count on both my hands the amount of times I've cleaned the thing.

Back