velocity out of 18 inch upper?

steve154

Just wondering what you are getting for velocity out of your 18 inch uppers with 55 grain bullets?

I have been playing with 55 NBT and 55 Sierra GK HP with Varget, out of my Prarie Panther. I am getting good accuracy with both. The NBT are at 3050 and the GK are at 3125.(Same powder charge)

I never used Varget in .223 before and so far I am pretty happy with it.

30 per inch is what I have always used. Hodgdon data says 55's are at 3384 with a max load of Varget. I was hoping to get closer to 3200fps with the ballistic tip, but the accuracy is there and I don't think any critter within 300 yards is going to know if the bullet came out of the tube at 3050, or 3150...I was just curious what some other guys are getting with their 55 grain loads.

You should be right on the money with ur goal, but if you aren't seeing any pressure signs you might be able to bump up the powder alittle bit more. And I don't know where Hodgdon is based out of but your elevation might be the culprit also.

No signs of pressure at all. The only problem with going any higher is that the case is just about full to the top right now. If I pour the charge in real slow it gives some extra room by packing better. I might be able to go another grain.

I am wondering if the Varget is slower than ideal for this bullet and barrel length and it is not burning all of the powder? I am happy right now, so I might just leave it alone. The only thing I need to really worry about now is if the muzzle flash is going to be excessive in the dark.

R-15, 18", 1-9
ProChrono Digital, 10ft. if front of muzzle.
Factory Loads:

Federal Barnes Triple Shock 55gr.

Hornady 55gr. V-Max

Hornady 55gr SP

Hornady 40gr. V-Max

Federal Sierra Game King 55gr. BTHP

Remington Express (green & yellow box)55gr.

Hornady Superformance 53gr.

Originally Posted By: steve154No signs of pressure at all. The only problem with going any higher is that the case is just about full to the top right now. If I pour the charge in real slow it gives some extra room by packing better. I might be able to go another grain.

I am wondering if the Varget is slower than ideal for this bullet and barrel length and it is not burning all of the powder? I am happy right now, so I might just leave it alone. The only thing I need to really worry about now is if the muzzle flash is going to be excessive in the dark.

While Varget worked great in my 22-250 w/55 grainers, my (3) 223's (one 7, and two 9 twist barrels) have not found a sweet spot before I run out of case capacity. I don't like to compress my loads. Although Varget looks like it would be fine for a 223 on paper, with lots of load data to back it up, I've just never been lucky enough to find a load for the 223 with it. I went to TAC for my 223 loads, cheaper than Varget, may not be quite as temp consistant but it's easier to meter out of the powder measure.

YMMV

Varget is slower than ideal for sure with 55 gr bullets but it will work. There are so many good powders for the .223 though I would try before usuing varget for that weight bullet.

Back