Hunting with the 69 Gr. Sierra MK Bullet

Tim Merriman Jr

Has anyone used the 69 grain Sierra MatchKing bullets to hunt coyotes with. If so I would like to here about your results. Did they take off and run or does the bullet do a good job of putting them down. My combo right now is a Remington R-15 VTR .223rem. Load is 21.5 gr. IMR 8208XBR CCI BR-4 primer, C.O.L. is 2.245. Right now that shoots just under M.O.A. for me at 100 yards with a completely stock R-15.
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Bullets are designed for a specific purpose. You're talking about using a target bullet for hunting at a fairly low velocity from a .223.

It may work. However, keep in mind that this target bullet is not going to disintegrate as a varmint bullet will. I wouldn't want to shoot that target bullet around farm animals or housing.

I have asked this before myself but with the Hornady 68 bthp. I received several replies stating it would work fine. One guy if I remember right was using the 52 hp for all of his Yote loads.

A broad side shot in the lungs will probably just poke a hole clean threw im sure it will kill but i dont think it will be instantly, ive shot them in phone books next to other bullets and wasnt impressed the best results i got were from the Nosler ballistic tips they penitrated farther than the V-Max and retained half of there starting weight were the V-Max had about 10% of total weight left with a identical wound channel less penitration.The bthp had a very small wound channel but did penitrate twice the distance and retained 70 percent of its weight.

I use 52 MK for deer out of a 22-250 and they kill with authority but I have used 69 MK on groundhogs and it would just poke through them allowing them to get back to the hole. Not exactly the information you need but it is something to think about.

I use the 69 smk on yotes and it does a fine job...hit them at any angle and they die...it is a target bullet not a FMJ. HP's are perfect for hunting, if we really wanted to put the scare into the "terrorist", we would let our boys shoot hollow points.

Sierra 69 MK is what dad was hunting with this past season and I seen him drop 2 coyotes out around a 200 yard mark. Dad has a range finder so when he gets back he can tell you more about the bullet and the coyotes but they dropped right there and the bullet did pass all the way through and not fur friendly on one.

Originally Posted By: bushyI use the 69 smk on yotes and it does a fine job...hit them at any angle and they die...it is a target bullet not a FMJ. HP's are perfect for hunting, if we really wanted to put the scare into the "terrorist", we would let our boys shoot hollow points.

+1

Awesome.... All this is great info. The thing of it is the 69 gr. MK shoot the best in my R-15 that's all. I don't have any experience with them on animals. So I was just wondering if I should continue trying to fine tune the load or go on to something else. Right now I am still on the fence. I might just load it till the box is gone and keep trying other bullets. Which I do have plenty to pick from.
Thanks for all the advice and info. I did however plaster a yote with a 40 gr. V-Max out of my 204 last season. That dropped him in his tracks. Plus I would say that, the round is very fur friendly!
Thanks again.

Back