putting weight on a puppy UPDATE!

When dog food is made it is cooked and all the Bactiera is killed, good and bad. The good bactiera is needed for food digestion. No matter what brand of dog food you use and how much you spend, the dog will have a hard time getting the needed nutriton if it doesn't have the good bactiera in its stomach. Give a tablespoon full of Plain Yogart along with its dog food this will put the good batiera back in its stomach and you will most likely see the dog gain weight. Also other causes of no good bactiera is...wormers and medications. This is simple and a cheap fix.
In my opinion that dog looks good, but I hate to see a fat lab/retriever.

Originally Posted By: Devin69When dog food is made it is cooked and all the Bactiera is killed, good and bad. The good bactiera is needed for food digestion. No matter what brand of dog food you use and how much you spend, the dog will have a hard time getting the needed nutriton if it doesn't have the good bactiera in its stomach. Give a tablespoon full of Plain Yogart along with its dog food this will put the good batiera back in its stomach and you will most likely see the dog gain weight. Also other causes of no good bactiera is...wormers and medications. This is simple and a cheap fix.
In my opinion that dog looks good, but I hate to see a fat lab/retriever.

sound advise
thumbup1.gif

That's alot of good info guys, I am gonna have to try some of that info to put a little weight on my pup. The vet said that he was a little skinny, he weighs in at 45 lbs. I think he looks good and he can run after them coyotes as is, I don't know maybe a few lbs wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyPahntr, how much is that stuff a bag? Don't look real cheap to me, you may be paying for more than your pup is going to get from it.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the stuff we fed our Pyrenese pups. My male wound up wieghing 184lbs and my female wound up at 148lbs and not an ounce of fat on either of them. Can't remember how much it costs though.

Ever try to break up 332lbs of dogs fighting over a dog food bowl because you didn't pour it fast enough?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyPahntr, how much is that stuff a bag? Don't look real cheap to me, you may be paying for more than your pup is going to get from it.

It's $30 for a 40lb bag a Costco. That's a big reason why I am looking at it!

Good luck with the food hunt! I will try to find the name of the stuff I feed when I'm hunting allot. I don't remember the name, just know where I buy it! Haha.

In the summer when my dogs don't run allot I feed the cheap stuff. The other stuff is real good, and about $35 for 50 lbs.

Chupa, since you are new to posting on the houndsmen forum does that mean that we get to haze you?????? Boy I sure hope so! Haha.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackey
Chupa, since you are new to posting on the houndsmen forum does that mean that we get to haze you?????? Boy I sure hope so! Haha.

Too funny. I won't give any advice here in the houndsman forum as I know squat about hunting dogs, so if you take anything I say as such....you made mistake number 1. I'm sure the nutritional requirements of a hunting dog are drastically different from that of say a companion dog (which what mine were), I was just illustrating that the food in question made a large breed dog (Great Pyrenese) absolutely massive in my estimatation...at the very least, my best guess.

I gotta say that since spending some time with you this week, that my interest has been piqued. I'll probably do more reading than writing here, maybe a question here or there.

Hazing? That sounds less than pleasant
grin.gif

Chupa

Pa, that pup is looking good!

Chupa, I'm glad to see you over here. Anytime you have any advice, or opinion feel free to speak up!

As far as just knowing companion dogs, not hunting dogs, well that's only about 50/50 in this case. Look at it this way, you have 2 guys, one is an athlete, one is not. Even though the athlete is going to need a different diet, McDonald's is not healthy for ether one to eat every day.

Probably a horrible comparison, but you get the point. Good food is good food, and if you have fed it with good, or bad results, that is definitely useful info to share.

Update on our pup! She is doing so well! She is starting to catch up to her "sister". The pup is the one in the foreground!

8b0e76a4.jpg

She should be just about ready this fall for ducks! Thanks again for all your advice!

Back