Favorite Coyote Bullet

getfoxy

Im sitting here looking at all of my bullets on hand and wondering what everyone overall Favorite is. I gotta feeling its gonna be V-max but for fun lets do a poll.

Favorite bullet coming outta the .223-
Favorite coming out of the .243-

In .223 I like the 52gr SMK and am currently digging the 53gr V-max, but next year I will be trying the 52gr A-Max.

In 6mm I have only shot 2 coyotes with my 6x45 both with the 70gr SBK and it flat stoned them both.

Chupa

There are lots of guys on here who have shot LOTS more coyotes than me. However, I have killed a handfull or two with several different kinds of bullets.

The most consistant kills from 223Rem seems to be the 55gr Sierra GK. Nothing fancy but plain works. I also like the 60 gr Vmax in my short barrel AR (lower velocity). However, I had a couple those to splash (nasty enterence wound) on coyotes but neither needed a followup or made it out of sight. I guess enough of the bullet kept going. I was surprised to see the 60vmax not to pass through as much. Especially on fox @ 3k

I have many with a 243Win. Only bullet I've killed coyotes with in it is 75gr vmax which was a true hammer. Killed small handfull with 6BR with 65gr vmax & 87 gr Vmax that both worked well. I have only killed one with my 6x45 & it was also with 65gr vmax & worked well. I think anything in 6mm will produce dead coyotes. I really want to try the 80gr sierra Blitz in 243Win. I hear nothing but great things about it.

Years back when I was using the .223 some I went to the 60 gr. V-Max and preferred it to the 52-55 gr. bullets. I am revisiting the .223 AR platform again and the Hornady 60 gr. V-Max was easy to find an accurate load for and will most likely be what I use again. Though I am playing around a little with the Sierra 65 gr. SBT GameKing. An additional note, I actually liked that 60 gr. bullet slowed down a bit to about 2,800 fps from the .223 and felt it gave better overall performance than when ran at full bore from my .22-250 that I occasionally used at the time. I hunt the timber and seldom shoot over 100 yards.

In .243 I've used a bunch of various bullets over the years. Anything from 70 gr. through 87 gr. is a pure hammer on coyotes. I settled on the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT GameKing as a really good compromise bullet. Very accurate and very terminal on a variety of game right up through deer. Start them at 3,100 fps or a bit more in an accurate load and you are golden.

50gr Nosler BT in my 22-250 savage. 55grNosler BT in my 223 16in Stag AR, and 60gr Nossler BT in my Rock River 20" Predator Pursuit.

I have killed more coyotes then I can remember with a .243 using the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT. However, this fall I will be trying the Nosler 70 gr. bullet.

Here are my choices for their accuracy and terminal performance.

22-250 – Sierra 55 Gr. SBT @ 3652 fs

244 AI – Nosler 70 Gr. BT @ 3800 fs

257 AI – Hornady 75 Gr. Vmax @ 3636 fs

B…

223- 52gr Speer FB HP and 50gr NBT

243- 55gr Lead Free Ballistic tip this is working pretty good for pelt hunting, better than the 62gr VG

AWS

In my 222 it thrives on 40g vmaxs. killed a pile of coyotes out to 300 with this bullet at 3500fps and it does a number on them, usually DRT.

In 243, 25-06, 264, I like the middle weight ballistic tips. Gives a good combination of velocity, trajectory, and higher percentage of LR hits due to the higher BCs they offer versus light for caliber bullets. Plus they hold up enough to drive through coyotes no matter yardage or angle.

Neither are fur friendly, with the vmax usually being a bit more explosive as it does not have the solid base to drive through like the nosler.

I like bullets with plastic tips, there lean, sexy, and perform, who doesn't like that?

.22-250 - 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips

.243 - 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips

Hey coythtr, we both registered on the same day and our post count is almost exactly the same, freaky.
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Back