25-06 Antelope bullet recommendation?

bowhunt32

I'm new to this caliber and my only experience in killing an antelope was with muzzle loader. I bought a 25-06 last year, and put together a RL22 and Barnes 100g TTSX when I got it. The load I have shoots awesome, but I'm concerned that its a bit stout for an antelope. So what are your all thoughts, go with the load I have or build another. If build another what bullet do you recommend.

I will say I have tried balistic tips in a variety of other calibers and I won't be going there.

Last edited:
I think it will be perfect. It will blow clear through and probably not leave a terrible exit wound either.

Originally Posted By: KrankieSounds like you are ready for antelope to me.I'd stay with what works.

+1

I would be very surprised if that load out treats you poorly.

Chupa

I have only shot two antelope but I was a bit surprised at how fast they went down (maybe others have had different results).

I have shot deer that were soundly hit in the vitals but still traveled 75-150 yards before going down. Antelope on the other hand to seem to pile up a bit quicker IMHO.

I think you are set to go.

I would like to work up a Barnes load for my 243, but the cost of 65 cents per bullet (not including primer and powder) might give me a nosebleed at the shooting range.

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteI have only shot two antelope but I was a bit surprised at how fast they went down (maybe others have had different results).

I have shot deer that were soundly hit in the vitals but still traveled 75-150 yards before going down. Antelope on the other hand to seem to pile up a bit quicker IMHO.

I think you are set to go.

I would like to work up a Barnes load for my 243, but the cost of 65 cents per bullet (not including primer and powder) might give me a nosebleed at the shooting range.

I've also got a 85g tsx and 4831 load for my 243 Win. Loaded it up for Mule Deer. Works great on mule deer. My brother will be using this set up on the same hunt.

I shot quite a few with Sierra 90g HP and 100g Sierra BTSP with about 53.0g of IMR 4350 in various 25/06's.

Speed goats are not hard to kill. Last one that I shot was at 430 yards with a 223 loaded with 26.5g of Win 748 and a 55g Win SOft point(approx 3150 fps at the muzzle).

Know the trajectory on your rifle, take your time, place your shot, bullet type does not matter much. I have my target knobs marked for yardage, Leica 1200 solves the mystery on range...done deal. Get your goat, then dive into p. dogs and calling coyotes.

Originally Posted By: bowhunt32

I've also got a 85g tsx and 4831 load for my 243 Win. Loaded it up for Mule Deer. Works great on mule deer. My brother will be using this set up on the same hunt.

Very interesting. I don't want to venture off track here but I was talking with one of the Barnes technicians on the phone last week about their 80g tipped bullet in the 243. He claims to have shot a large bodied mule deer with it and that it busted both shoulders and then exited (pretty tall order for an 80g bullet). He also said the same bullet will expand on soft tissue at velocities down below 2000 fps. I would love to try some. It is just the price that scares me.

You are set.

I shoot that same bullet outta my 257 wby at 3550fps. It kills very well and doesn't leave a terrible mess like a softer bullet would.

Go get em!

I've killed three antelope with a .270 Winchester and 130 gr. Sierra SBT and felt pretty much over gunned for the little dudes. I think you should be in a very comfortable place with your quarter bore 100 gr. load.

I've never shot an antelope with my .25-06 but have shot deer. I've used Nosler Ballistic tips and Sierra Spitzer bullets, never had a problem. I prefer heavier like 117 gr and up if I know ranges will be long. But I believe a 100 gr will work too.

I have killed a ton of speed goats using a 243 and 95 Nosler partitions. Your 100 grainer will do fine.. The 25-06 is an excellent choice for antelope

Antelope are pretty soft, so you don't really need that stout of a bullet. But, since you have it ready, shoot it. My wife shoots a .257 Roberts with 100 grain TSXs and has killed a number of antelope with no problem. Go for it...

Originally Posted By: zillaI have killed a ton of speed goats using a 243 and 95 Nosler partitions. Your 100 grainer will do fine.. The 25-06 is an excellent choice for antelope

So a 243 with a 90 grainer at about 3000 fps should do it then???

Ive never shot one of them so I have no idea..???

You do not need accubonds or tripple shocks on antelope. When you get the hide off them and see them hanging up, there is not much there.

243 or 6 Remington loaded with 90g Speer Sp or Sierra 85g BTHP is a great combo for antelope. 95g Partition does an excellent job also.

Back when I was hunting them, you applied for a tag and got 4 tags...no drawing. Then you went down and bought over the counter 4 more tags for $25.

There were usually 12 went in our group and I ended up filling a lot of tags for the other guys.

Originally Posted By: sully2Originally Posted By: zillaI have killed a ton of speed goats using a 243 and 95 Nosler partitions. Your 100 grainer will do fine.. The 25-06 is an excellent choice for antelope

So a 243 with a 90 grainer at about 3000 fps should do it then???

Ive never shot one of them so I have no idea..???

You can put the down with a stern look and a finger wagging. A big male is about 90 pounds on the hoof. Around here, even if you get a runner it's not a big deal. It's so wide open they would have to cover a couple miles before you lost sight of them. But most go down in less than 100 same as any other animal.

Back