Stupid Robin as a Predator

justshoot

I know this has nothing to do with coyote hunting. For three days now a robin has been attacking our truck and two cars. Windows are bloody and crapped up. We have covered the mirrors and he is still at it. The dope will wait until I about 5 ft away before it flies away. Blood on cars and on bird. May be a threat to the neighborhood. I'll get dress in a ghillie, take the 12 ga and maybe #4 buck. Using a mirror on the Jeep as a decoy will work. Silly, I know, but this bird is pushing the wrong buttons. We have lots of robins here, what makes one nuts to this point?

I have had bad experiences with mockingbirds in the past. I have bushes and shrubs in the yard that they love to nest in. When the young are hatched the males will sit perched high above the house, on look-out. Any time we would walk out through the yard the male would literally dive-bomb down at you and raise all heck to the point where we couldn't hardly go outside! I feel your pain!

We had a blue bird do the exact same thing you describe. He kept at it for about two weeks. He either loved or hated his own reflection. Makes me think of a show I watched years ago about a study they did on animal recognition. Monkeys & dolphins were the only animals in the study that realized they were looking at themselves in the mirror. Dogs, cats, birds, etc, all showed aggression, fear, or mating displays when shown their reflection. To prove that the monkeys & dolphin truly recognized themselves, they put a sticker or ribbon on a part of the monkey/dolphin that they could only see using the mirror as an aid. The monkey used the mirror so he could see to remove the sticker from his back. The dolphin would swim back & forth in front of the mirror, twisting & turning. It was obviously using the mirror to look at the dot they had placed on its back & tail. It was a pretty interesting show & I wish I could catch it again.

Up date on this nutty robin. I have done everything except cover my cars with a tarp. This lunatic bird is all but killing himself on my car windows and mirrors. Crap and blood! I am going to remove this SOB (son-of-a-robin)from the genic pool.

Notify your local Senator and Representative... Surely the government is, or has been, spending millions of our tax dollars to get you an answer to the behavior...
w00t.gif

We have the Blue (Steller) Jays around here and they will dive-bomb you at any time but mostly when their babies are in the nest. They like to eat other birds babies (especially Robins) and I have grown quite a dislike for them. We have some Mountain Chicadees nesting in one of our bird houses and if one of them jay birds gets the notion to get some easy grub....its got another thing commin.....They have already robbed a Robins nest once and that put a real sour taste in my mouth. that crazy Robin you are talkin about does seem to have issues.....never saw a Robin do that. Just like humans though.....sumovus aint 2 bryt sumtimz.....Doggin Coyotes was sposed to ship me out a box of jay birds so I can target practice but...still waiting.
grin.gif

Last edited:
TARGET PRACTICE? You NEVER told me that is what you wanted em for! I'm glad I didn't send you any. Mean old powerfisher. Poor lil birdies.

Quote:poor lil birdies...Funny,,,Blue Jays were the only bird my grandfather ever gave me permission to shoot when I was a little kid...He would have tanned my hide and taken away my little single shot .22 if he had caught me shooting any others..

I had a crazy Robin show up on my doorstep for two years.

He had a nasty habit of trying to make love (or war??) with his reflection in the sliding glass door in my kitchen.
He'd stand on the porch and flutter up about 3 feet pecking at the glass panel - over&over&over again.

At first it was amuzing, but the constant noise of glass tapping at dawn grew old quick( and the pile of bird crap he left each day).

I contemplated putting a pellet in his bird brain, but instead opted to cover the lower part of the glass door with cardboard. It worked.

He has not shown up this year - sounds like he found a new home in Perry County...LOL

Typically a short lived experience, lasts about 10 days to 2 weeks in my experience. Have one window on the west side of the house with mirror tint. And, without fail, every spring, there will be a bird or two has to try and kick the bird's @ss in the window for a week or two. Not an all day thing, just a couple times a day, and it usually lasts about 10 days or so. Gets aggravatin when you're trying to sleep-in on the weekends, because about 7 a.m. on Saturday morning seems to be when they feel most froggy!!

Back