Which 223 Bullet for Hogs?

crowkiller51

OK,
Question for the AR-15 Shooters, Speak from experence.
Which .223 bullet in your reloads will anchor adult wild hog?
GameKings?
Barnes?
Bergers?
Hornady?
Noslers?
Other?

I use 55 grain Nosler bt. in .223. Many pigs have fallen from these, if you hit them in the spot 1/2 way between the eye and ear.
smile.gif
They also work great if you double lung them. I've even killed them by hitting them in the sholder plate.

We cull lots of hogs to keep their numbers down, mostly pigs to 250 pounders. The Noslers work, just make a good shot.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesI use 55 grain Nosler bt. in .223. Many pigs have fallen from these, if you hit them in the spot 1/2 way between the eye and ear.
smile.gif
They also work great if you double lung them. I've even killed them by hitting them in the sholder plate.

We cull lots of hogs to keep their numbers down, mostly pigs to 250 pounders. The Noslers work, just make a good shot.

+1 Shot placement is key. Have never had one run w/well placed head shot using 55 gr. NBT.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: sully250-55gr FMJ....Headshot!

Have you tried these on hogs ?

Have you?

Only one I ever killed was with a 220 Silvertip...cause the lieing SOB told me they were hard to kill. Best best is a good Wham-o slingshot and ball bearings.

Frontal shot..between the eyes...or side shot...between the eye and the ear...a FMJ will do it for sure

Last edited:
Nope...Ive said my piece. Seems like if someone has a problem with OTHERS input on a subject...they just let it roll. If they have a problem with MY input...then they want to argue and roll a stink over it. No more. Ive said what I wanted to say and thats the end of it.

Ok, thanks. I have not been involved in those "discussions" but have noticed many tangled topics in which you participate. Do you have any idea why that happens to you?

On topic to the OP, excuse the disruption, I've never killed a hog with a .223 so can't comment intelligently from real experience about the question. Anything I could offer would only be speculation.

Originally Posted By: GCOk, thanks. I have not been involved in those "discussions" but have noticed many tangled topics in which you participate. Do you have any idea why that happens to you?

Basically....because I dont believe 50% of the "feces" that some boast over...and TRUST those even less...and I dont mind 1 bit telling them either.

Besides the FACT there are posters that intentionally want to "stirr the poop" and create uproars..and Ive had them pointed out to me....
ohmy.gif

Last edited:
62gr Tsx . .223AI.........
IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

60gr Vmax. .223AI........IIRC
IMG_0448.jpg

6 pigs all in all with these 2 bullets.
Also 4 pigs with 52gr Mhp Black Hills .223 Rem, don't have any pics on my puter right now even though the could be.
wink.gif

Just talking experince here......

AND not.....
stirthepot.jpg

Last edited:
Well the pics are all and nice and all of that...but you didnt answer my question. HAVE YOU shot a hog with a FMJ?

I didnt begin to question YOUR choice of slugs...so why did you even bother to comment on my choice.???? And just so you know..there are OTHER hunters...on OTHER BB's that praise the 55gr FMJ for hogs!!!

If I had MY choice of weapons Id choose my 243..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crowkiller51OK,
Question for the AR-15 Shooters, Speak from experence.
Which .223 bullet in your reloads will anchor adult wild hog?

I proly should not have commented here since I've not used an AR15 on hogs , HOWEVER I do have "experience" with .223 rifles and hogs.

And NO I haven't used FMJ on hogs. If I had I would have said so.

I believe that the OP wanted experience here, NO ?

Who is ....
stirthepot.jpg

............. NOW ????????????????????

Originally Posted By: sully2Nope...Ive said my piece. Seems like if someone has a problem with OTHERS input on a subject...they just let it roll. If they have a problem with MY input...then they want to argue and roll a stink over it. No more. Ive said what I wanted to say and thats the end of it.

You have said quite abit since this remark.

Laffin'
laugh.gif

They say laffin' is good for the mind and body, if that's the case I'll live forever with your comments and experinece .
Thanks
smile.gif

Tim, I see no pic of the Bullet. How do we know that you werent using an FMJ, and just added that TSX in there to confuse us and try to throw us off? ? Hmm? Hmm? lol

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Tim, I see no pic of the Bullet. How do we know that you werent using an FMJ, and just added that TSX in there to confuse us and try to throw us off? ? Hmm? Hmm? lol
stirthepot.jpg

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

The frontal shot "right between the eyes" is a bad shot on a hog, the slight downward angle of the bullet (if your close) will end up only going into the hogs sinus cavity. Also the slope of a hogs head tends to make the bullet skip up and not penetrate the skull at all. If you are close, like shooting one in a trap or pen, draw a imaginary line between his eyes, then aim half way between there and the top of his head. The side of the head 1/2 way between the eye and ear is your best shot, any hit in this area is like turning off a switch. A .22 long rifle will kill the biggest hog if you hit him here, but I don't suggest it as it can bounce back and hit you.

If you are going to eat your pork, I would suggest NOT head shooting them, as they don't bleed much. If you can get to them quick and stick them, then that will be ok. To stick a hog, find the soft spot right above where their chest comes to a point. Stick your knife straight in, turn it 90 degrees, make a couple of quick cuts and pull back, you should get a stream of blood the size of the hole.

Back