Jeep Wrangler Owners

getfoxy

Thinking about trading my Mustang GT off to maybe like a 99-2002 model Jeep Wrangler. Hopefully a 4.0 and for sure a 5speed.

Is there anything I should look for when buying a Wrangler? Ive always wanted one but never had one..

Just be really careful about your driving practices with the Jeep... I've worked several fatality roll overs, because the drivers didn't realize there lack of stability at normal driving speeds...They are great for lower speed, off road use..

GetFoxy, When buying a jeep you just gotta use common sense. Jeeps are made for offroad and sometimes people abuse them more then any other vehicle. I would buy one from someone that mainly drove in on pavement if you can, probably an older man/women, and I would never buy one that is lifted. If it's lifted you know it's probably been beat. Do a good shake down of the front end, if it's got bigger tires, i'm sure it will need either balljoints or tierod ends sooner then later. Also make sure you take it in the dirt and test the funationality of 4wd. Their transfer cases are a little on the weakside and if beat, you'll have problems. I've owned 1 jeep myself and have lifted/modified/fixed a pile of them. All in all, they are great vehicles and i'd sure own another one.

Thanks guys. Jack Im not too sure I wanna do it just yet but The mustang isnt very practical and I find myself very limited to where I can hunt with the car. If I find the jeep Im looking for I might just let it go. I just dont know yet. its a hard call to make.

Thanks Old Turte. I have never even driven a jeep so thats something I will keep in mind.

YFZ- I can defintley tell the ones thta have been off-roaded lol. You think people would wash them before they take pics lol. I never thought about the ball joints or tierods. I had heard about the transfer cases though. Thanks guys.

Ill keep you informed on my decision

Bought my first last year, and I absolutely love it!! I think they were getting a little better up there in the 99 - 00 range, but you have to remember, this is essentially an off road vehicle with highway capabilities, it lacks a whole lot in the creature comforts department!! They rattle, they clank, they roar, they don't drive real pretty, they don't have the best heater or AC, the seats aren't the most comfortable, the wipers are eternally in the middle of the windshield, and the mirrors don't match, but damm are they fun to drive!! Just don't plan any cross country trips!!

The authorities ~~> http://www.jeepforum.com/

#1 on the list... Look out for wannabe Jeep mechanics! Some people should not be allowed to touch a wrench, and many of them like to drive jeeps, since they are fairly simple to work on.

Check the frame and under the body well for rust. Jeeps are notorius for rusting; frame rot is not even a little uncommon. Frame usually rusts through around the rear spring hanger on the rear end. On a jeep of that age, you're probably not going to see a problem there, unless you check inside the frame tube, but be sure to check underneath the body for rust.

While the transfer case itself can occasionally cause problems, (some years this was more of a problem than others), much more commonly, the vacuuum actuator to lock the front axle causes you grief. And, while that can be fixed, many folks, like myself, opt for the Posi-Lok system, a cable operated control to lock the front end from the driver's seat. It runs around $170 for the kit, takes 2 - 3 hours to install. The Posi Lok system also allows you high/low range in 2 wheel drive when installed. Simply, put the transfer case in 4 low, and don't lock the front end.

Lift kits I wouldn't be too suspicious of; if done right, they don't hurt a lot. But look closely at the installation, and make sure they are done right. If it's sporting 2x4 or 4x4 technology, and I'm talking the pressure treated, bought at Lowes or Home Depot kind there, then you probably want to shy away from it! Seriously folks, I have seen it done! Likewise if it has 12 inch spring shackles, you probably don't want to go there either.

The lift itself isn't what kills the front end components, its the added tire width, which mandates wheel spacers, and/or rim offset to compensate for said width, that changes weight distribution on the front end, and causes the wear yfzduner450 is talking about. And, you don't even have to have lift to run into those issues. Anything up to 33s and you're pretty safe, when you start getting into 35s and 38s you can definitely start seeing issues. Mine has a shallow dish rim, running 32 x 10.5s, thus keeping center of gravity on the tire the same as stock, on the front end. However, it tends to rub the spring shackles when you crank it tight around the corners, which is really hard on the inside of the tire about where the tread meets the belts on the sidewall.

Uneven tire pressure can cause them to wander all over the road at highway speeds. If it feels a little squirrely around 55-60, check the tires first. Mine wandered all over when I first bought it, found 1 tire 10 PSI low to be the culprit. Night and day difference in the way it drives at highway speed.

Year range you're looking at, I'd opt for the 4.0. In fact I was looking for a 4.0 in an older model myself. Found an '88 YJ that the price was hard to say no too, but it had a 2.5 in it. I kicked it around, researched the engine a little. Figured I could change it over if it didn't suit me... (Later learned changing drive train in a jeep encompasses engine/transmission/transfer case swap as a rule. You just don't put a 4.0 in one designed for 2.5, kinda like big block and small block chevy stuff.) The late CJs/early YJ's used a GM designed 4 cylinder, Jeep later attempted to replicate it, and from what I've read got close, but it's not quite as durable. The 4.0 shines forever, in that respect, always has!!

I absolutely love mine! Beating around the prairie, off road, 4 wheelin, running back and forth to work (a whopping 3 blocks) and around town otherwise... Averaging 18.6 miles per gallon!! With the vacuum actuator broke, in 2 wheel drive, I'd go to where everyone else turned around in the snow drifts in 4 wheel drive, and make another half mile to a mile more. And, it's simple to work on; not much in the way of computers on board an '88 Jeep!

Rocky1, you hit the nail on the head with just about everything you said. It defientely looks like you've done your research and have learned a great deal about them by owning them. As with your 2.5L motor, they are a bit gutless but seem to be pretty reliable. I've seen them go up to 200,000 miles if taken care of. Not the normal but they can last. As for the 4.0, they are almost bullet proof. We ran em' upside down, no oil pressure, and very badly taken care of for years. If I were you Rocky, I would do a small block chevy swap when your 2.5 dies. Not too much heavier then the 4.0, similiar gas milage with tons more power. I've done alot of tuned port 350 swaps into jeeps and they flat would "get it done". The last swap I did was a 6.0 gm into a 92' yj and that thing was amazing!!! It got 16 miles to the gallon and would roast off 40" MTRs on dry pavement.

Danggit foxy, I had you figured as a Prius kinda guy. Lifted with spinners of course. A real chick magnet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesDanggit foxy, I had you figured as a Prius kinda guy. Lifted with spinners of course. A real chick magnet.
smile.gif

LOL...
smile.gif

Though a V8 would be fun in a jeep, you are really asking for trouble. Can you say twisted drive shafts, not to mention that weak transfer case they are notorious for. And yes that short wheel base doesnt give you much time to correct your steering should you ever lose traction at highway speeds, trust me I know.

I'm kinda fond of my little 4 banger yfzduner450, it don't have a lot of power but it will git down the road 65 - 70 without a problem. Doesn't have enough power to really get you stuck bad, and when you drop that little sucker in 4 low, it will climb hills that will make you say...
scared.gif
!

It gets great gas mileage for a 4x4 is the one thing that impresses me most. As stated above, scouting for dear season last year, bouncing around prairie trails, beatin through snow drifts and mud, driving around town 18.5 mpg religiously. Don't know if I can get there with a small block. I might consider it if I was driving it a long ways, but typically I don't get more than 10 - 20 miles from home with it at most. And, most of my driving there is off the highway; dirt roads, section lines, and prairies trails.

While I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you a few years back, and kinda thought I might like to do that when I bought this one, after beating around in it, I really do kinda like the little 4 cylinder. It's lighter, better on gas, not overpowered; it's back to what made a jeep a jeep when they were first designed. It's got about 150,000 miles on it, but it was completely overhauled not a whole lot of miles ago. Original owner had a connection at the college in Bismarck, had the engine freshened up, had it all cleaned up underneath and undercoated, and had it repainted at around 100,000 miles. I probably don't put 5,000 miles a year on it, so I should be set until about 2041 at least!!!
grin.gif

It's a whole different mindset Foxy. If you aren't into roughing it on the road, you won't like it.

Best thing you can do is find someone that has one and go for a long ride with him. And, I'm not talking, just a day of hill climbing, or mudding, get it out on the highway for a good bit as well.

Next best thing you can do, is forget the 99 - 00 model, cause that is gonna cost 7 - 10 grand, and start looking for an older YJ or CJ. If you get back to that 86 to early 90s year model, you can occasionally pick them up cheap... I'm talking $2500 to $3500 bucks. (As I did!!) And, you can call it a toy! (As I did!!) Just be prepared to do a little fixin on it.

I'm looking for another one for playing in Florida. Found a few, always a day late or they won't return my calls, or I'm 2000 miles away when I find a deal on one. Search Automobiles for sale on Craigslist, and limit your search to Wrangler. If you buy a cheap one, and don't expect a luxury car out of it, it's a whole lot easier to enjoy it Foxy.

Well I wasnt wanting it to really go offroading. LOL. Stupid I know. I just wanted something that looked fun to drive, could get me to my hunting spots, and be good for WInter as well.

I was aware of the price tag, I was cool with it. If I was gonna be doing some serious off roading I would defnitley be getting an older one but I wanted a fairly newer one hoping it would be a better ride.

Like I said. I really dont need it I guess. I do have a 1998 5.4L Expedition That I can drive for my hunting trips but 8MPG SUCKS! The stang isnt much better at 12MPG but 8 really sucks lol

Get Foxy,
I love my 2000 Wrangler Sahara. First thing I did is pull out the carpet. It does reduce floorboard head when it's in, but most every Jeep I've ever seen will get some water in it and it makes for a mess. There's a reason for the drain plugs
smirk.gif
. Mine is the 4.0 with 5 speed and has plenty of power for running the roads and for going in the mountains. I pull a 6'x10' utility trailer with mine toting my Honda Rancher 350 on it. It is not a great towing vehicle, especially with a trailer longer than the Jeep. The short wheel base on a Jeep is great for tight areas and maneuvering around obstacles. You can pull a U-turn in a 2 lane road and not hit grass. As OT mentioned, they do tend to ride top heavy, even more so if lifted. Mine sits stock with slightly oversized 245x75x16 BFGoodrich AT KO's on it. I get 65,000 to 70,000 a set so far on it with most of my driving being highway. I'm not a real offroader, but I don't let rocky bumpy areas deter me. Jeeps have terrible wind noise on the highway due to the square front and flat windshield. You'll never keep a clean windshield in one. I call mine my windsled. I can lose 10mph when a strong head wind hits me. The short wheel base also makes them prone for walking the road. Mine is no fun to drive on long trips, rides like a farm wagon compared to a car or fullsize truck. Luxery vehicle they are not, not roomy either. If you need something for the family, you'd be hard pressed to put a kid, spouse, and groceries in one comfortably. Taking the top off is cool, mine is a hard top with full metal doors. Beware of theft of goods inside, pop up storms, and sunburn
cursing.gif
. If you like creeping through the mountains, like the breeze in your hair, and like going away from the beaten path, they're great. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the Cherokee sport 4 door. Same motor, more room, no more tipping the seat to let somebody in, lose the ability to go topless and tighter steering. Gain better towing and braking abilities. If you buy one in the age range you mention, pay particular attention to rear end noise, they are prone to eating them with the 4.0L. Check the flats on the fron finders near the flares, they are two piece with foam in between, very prone to rust. Check the steering box, they turn so sharp that they can seperate the steering box from the frame easily. These are some of my observations since owning mine 9 years now and having put over 100,000 miles on it with little mechanical trouble.
CDPICS004.jpg

GetFoxy, From your latest comments, I'd be looking at a Chev Trailblazer, Ford Explorer, or Jeep Cherokee... All are decent on the highway, with off road capabilities and offer reasonable comfort, as well as security for items inside..

I never get into the Ford/Chev, etc..type debates, as sure as I do, I'll wind up owning one, or all...as I do now...All have their strengths and weaknesses..

Actually oldturtle. I am primarily a ford guy. My mom use to have a SS trailblazer. Supercharged 5.3L if I remember correctly.

What I have been considering is a Toyota Rav 4. I found one locally for 4700. It's a 4-cyl, 5spd. Supposedly averages 25-30mpg. Oh and it's 4wd. It's a 98 model. I'm really thinking hard about it.

You're exactly right with your line of thinking on what kind of vehicle I should be looking at.

The Jeep Cherokee Sport is tough to beat if that's where your mindset is at! Inline six in those units is known for 250,000+ miles as a rule, unless you really abuse them. Little more comfortable than a wrangler, can still be lifted, bigger tires, custom bumpers and such for the off road appearance, and it looks BAD when you do. Still get up there around 18 - 20 mpg in most cases. Not necessarily luxury, but not altogether utility either. Would love to add one of those to the toy collection, just because.

If you get into the Grand Cherokee, then you're talking V6 or V8, and neither of those are known for exceptional longevity. They are a bit more luxurious, and thus more comfortable, but they simply don't last as long.

As a side note... If you have a Droid phone, download the free Craigslist Notification Ap. Go in and set the Ap up for whatever you're looking for. Then every time someone posts one of them, you get notified! Makes searching for a bargain much easier, if Craigslist is big in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Back