Last Grizzly Bear Killed in Colorado

10Bears

Could somebody tell me a story. I'd like to hear the whole story behind this grizzly killed in 1979. All I heard was it was supposedly killed by a hand held arrow by a elk bow hunter that was pretty badly mauled. And that it was east of Pagosa Springs by Platoro Reservoir. I heard there was a lot of controversy about it and the guy had a lot of splaining to do.

Interesting thing about that bear was that it was a 23 year old female that was determined to have borne cubs during it's life. Some people think the bear was released by an enviro group that wanted to force acceptance of the presence of grizzly bears in the San Juans and therefore force a management plan.

Many folks claimed that Wiseman actually arrowed the old sow and that was the cause of the attack.

Wiseman always denied that. He passed lie detector tests, water boarding and other nasty attempts to prove the attack was provoked.

Who knows.

I think they actually cited him at one point.

He was a guide and had elk hunters with him but they were not within sight of the incident. I still wonder who made the first move, wiseman or the bear!!

thanks for the links. You are right - no one but Ed will know. I hear there have been other grizzly sightings in the San Juans in more recent years. I think it is pretty interesting that this bear had given birth to cubs.

Back