Your favorite all around projectile for .308

UtahShooter

Just seeing really what is the favorite of most. I have over 252 150 game kings. Debating going to Hornady or Nosler.

Last edited:
It's a lot more difficult to find a bad bullet than a good one. Just about any cup & core bullet will perform well @ 308 Win. velocities. 165 gr. is just about the optimum bullet weight in the 308 IMO.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterAre most of these good paper punching as well?

You would be hard pressed to find a better "Paper punching" projectile than the A-Max that also serves as a descent "Hunting" projectile. Although I have killed many a critter with the 168gr SMK as well.

Chupa

168 grain Sierra MatchKings are truly great in my .308 heavy varminter. I just punch paper with them or the occasional jackrabbit or stupid coyote.

I have a 30" barrel with a 1-10" twist on my target 308. It shoots the 200gr SMK really well. I've taken this load out to 900yds with great accuracy.

I have a 20" 1:12" barrel on my custom ultralight 308. It shoots the 150gr ttsx well.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a Savage with a 1:10 20" barrel. I am thinking that I may go a bit on the heavier side than the 150 game kings that I have.

I may have missed it, but did you ever state what the purpose of the bullet in question is for? I may punch paper with a 168 gr. Sierra Matchking but I personally wouldn't use that for hunting heavy game. Purpose does make a difference and the question seems very vague.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterYeah I have a Savage with a 1:10 20" barrel. I am thinking that I may go a bit on the heavier side than the 150 game kings that I have.

My favorite rifle is a Savage Model 10 PC. Same twist and barrel length if not the same rifle as yours. It loves 175 gn SMKs and will shoot both them and the 168 SMKs at about 1/2 MOA. It's likes the 165 gn game kings as well I can group at or just over an inch@ 200 yards. I think the 155s might be a bit light for that twist.

Originally Posted By: GCI may have missed it, but did you ever state what the purpose of the bullet in question is for? I may punch paper with a 168 gr. Sierra Matchking but I personally wouldn't use that for hunting heavy game. Purpose does make a difference and the question seems very vague.

My thoughts exactly.

In my paper puncher, I'm runnin' 175gr. SMKs.

In my deer rifle, I'm runnin' 150gr. Accubonds....

Back