Fastest Commercial Cartridge

getfoxy

I was talking to a guy yesterday and we were talking speed. A statement he made has me pondering. What is the fastest commercial cartridge using factory loaded ammo? I dont get into who is the king of speed and what-not. Seems most of the varmint centerfires are lright around the 4000 fps mark, give or take, but he claimed that the 204ruger was the fastest??? I could pull out a reloading manual and start comparing but does anyone know off the top of their head?

Ive never owned a .204, never was interested in the 20 cal so I realy dont know.

Last edited:
Gary, I think it's the 17 BMG.

17BMGammo.jpg

The 17 BMG, I never knew, is it a legitimate cartridge? Like, if you really wanted one, could you have a rifle custom chambered for it?

The 223 wssm, forgot about that one. Thanks

Originally Posted By: getfoxyThe 17 BMG, I never knew, is it a legitimate cartridge? Like, if you really wanted one, could you have a rifle custom chambered for it?

The 223 wssm, forgot about that one. Thanks

Well, if you wanted one bad enough and had enough money to have one made, then sure- I don't see why that could not be done.

But I feel that most folks would not want a gun with a barrel life that measured in the single digits.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Re-phase the question into "what is the fastest commercial cartridge using factory loaded ammo". The answers will change.

+1...

I would think that asking ""what is the fastest commercial cartridge", MEANT using factory loads.

Otherwise, a .220 swift shooting 19 grain bullets???. Duh.

Meow
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: getfoxy
BTW Rusty hows that Adams and Bennet Savage .221 doing?

Just dandy! It turned out great. Unfortunately it has been a cool and wet spring here in western Idaho and have not had too many times to try it out on our local ground squirrels. Been a lot of fun I can tell you that and I enjoyed building it.

How does the 240 Weatherby rank? I can't find any charts, but a bigger ball with just a little less speed would seem better in my book. Is your WSSM loud? From experience the ones I have been around are real loud, and nite hunting close to town I try to keep it toned down some. I would bet it is faster than the 240 also.

17 Remington is still the fastest I believe. Remington says 20 grain bullet at 4250 fps.

Hornady superperformance 204 Ruger is 4225 fps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.The King of Speed for commercial cartridges is the 223wssm. Hornaday, in their new reloading book, achieved 4,600fps with a 40gr Vmax.

If we wanted reloaded data for the fastest here it is...

5278 FPS

Commercial Cartridge to me mean factory loaded I think the 17 Rem get it. 4250 with 20 Rem Accu-Tip or 220 swift 40 gr NBT with 4250 as well

Originally Posted By: ninehorses17 Remington is still the fastest I believe. Remington says 20 grain bullet at 4250 fps.

Hornady superperformance 204 Ruger is 4225 fps.

I also read that a short while back--the 17 Rem is still at the top.

Back