Shooting Sticks?

getfoxy

Right now Im using a Monopod and I blame it for a missed coyote last night lol. Im looking at upgrading to sticks.

What kind of sticks do you guys use?

I get on with my BogPods Okay.

AlcovaDog-1.jpg

This time of year I try not to take long shots as I am trying to work the dog. I'm not carrying sticks lately.

TuckerCoyoteSpring11.jpg

I also use the BogPod like DoubleCK uses and I love it. They're a little pricey, but I like the adjustability and how it rotates. It has a lot of nice features to it. I tried making my own and used them for a while; but it just can't compare. I hunt a lot of mountains and hilly terrain; so the adjustability is important. They're also made well and IMO; light weight.

Great pics BTW DoubleCK
thumbup.gif
!

Arden

I have a height adjustable monopod that I had problems with in cold weather.

Seems a bit of moisture or powdery snow would get into the nooks and crannies and freeze it.

Not very practical to knock it against a tree to loosen it up - or heat it up with a bic lighter when in stealth mode.

I made a homemade set of sticks from wooden dowels and big rubberbands... I actually prefer them over the monopod - when I do use sticks - which is not that often.

I bought a couple of Vanguard Scout B62 Gun Pod. They are easy to adjust and are sturdy. My wife really likes them. I have never used shooting sticks much. I just shoot sitting down using my knees. That is the way a learned. I am starting to use them more, when I remember to take them.

Never leave home without them
wink.gif
!

Prefer homemade....ummm, custom built sticks using the plastic coated steel tubing garden stakes available @ Lowes, K-mart, etc. Lash them together w/parachute chord and then put a spot of super glue on the lashings to be sure they do not slide up or down on the sticks. Epoxy a 16 penny nail in the bottom ends to provide a no-slip foot and make one set for standing, another for sitting. They are extremely lightweight and set up quickly.

Standing length:
100_1391.jpg

Sitting length:
IMG_2365-1.jpg

IMG_2524-1.jpg

Handy to run snakes out of the high grass plus they can be used in a pinch as a target frame in the field
grin.gif

IMG_0073-1.jpg

Regards,
hm

Primos Trigger Sticks - one set does it all from sitting to standing at the touch of a button. I was a bit dubious at first, but find I really like them.

I prefer Bog Gear products. They offer a good variety of shooting sticks, all good quality. I have never had them fail in any kind of weather.

Check out Hunter Specialties shooting sticks. That's what I use and I love them. They are like the Snyper Stiks (sp?) except for where your rifle sits there is elastic tubing to hold you rifle in place and they also hang off your rifle so your hands free.

hm1996; I use the same poles they work good. I used a chunk of rubber bungie strap to hold mine together though. You can drill a hole or heat up a large nail and burn/melt a hole for the poles to slide in.

Originally Posted By: frozenbutthm1996; I use the same poles they work good. I used a chunk of rubber bungie strap to hold mine together though. You can drill a hole or heat up a large nail and burn/melt a hole for the poles to slide in.

Hadn't thought about a bungee strap; that should work well.

Regards,
hm

I must agree with you HM. I have a set of "custom" sticks and I love them. light and easy to use. And at 3 bucks I won't cry when I loose them or break them. Either way I care for them just like my $80 Harris bi-pod. Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you!

I really like my Stoney Points (Polecat, I think). I bought the sitting height model first, and then bought the standing height. The standing height model is perfect because they go small enough for me to use sitting and expand all the way up to standing position, so they cover all bases. I'm glad I upgraded from a home-made pair.

I have tried BogPod, Vanguard, and Sniper Styx. They all work. I'm sure the homemade wood/nail/paint/wingnut works too.

What makes it to the stand?

Usually the BogPod if I'm not going far (WAAAAAAAYYY steady, but mine's a tripod and heavy). When I go "way in" I take the Vanguard. I'd use the Sniper Styx, but my son claimed them.

Back