Shotgun shell for coyote hunting

zacprohunter

I've got 2 boxes of these and I'm just wondering if they will work for coyote hunting.
(I cant figure out how to post pics so i'll just write)

Remington Game loads
gauge: 12
length:2 3/4
velocity(fps):1290
oz. shot: 1
shot gl128 (i have no idea what gl128 means but is says it on the box):8

Try Federal's, Blackcloud, Snow goose ammo. My son uses 3 inch shells with a #2 shot. These shells have a muzzel velocity of 1635 FPS. What I think does the damage to the dog with these shells is half of the pellets have a small ring around them. And they only cost about 18 bucks for a box of 25. The only thing I don't know about is how they would work past about a 100 feet. But we only use our shotguns when they charging fast.
Dan

Black CLoud is not suitable for coyotes. Its steel shot, the stuff is junk, If you cant afford the Hevi-Shot, get some #4 buck shot.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonToo light. Heavy Shot Dead Coyote is the best I've found. About $4 a round, but worth it. My opinion of course.
+1

,ost likly you will have to try a few type of shells/ chokes until you find what works best for your gun and how far it will pattern good at.

most here seem to like heavy shot DC, remington wingmaster BB

i havnt shot ethier yet but might suck it up and spend the cash. the federal heavy shot coote loads BB seem to shoot well for me out to 35 yds then after that not extremely well.

I've had good luck with that Remington HD BB load. Pounded a dog running at about 45 yds a couple weeks ago and it was very effective. A lot of places are running it on sale right now too.
I got great patterns with the Hevi Shot DC in T's but it wouldn't eject in my 535 so thats why I went to the Reminton load.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyBlack CLoud is not suitable for coyotes. Its steel shot, the stuff is junk, If you cant afford the Hevi-Shot, get some #4 buck shot.

Wacked a yote with some BC 3" T's at 25 yards and it bounced off him. Never would beleive it if I wouldn't of done it myself. I would go with heavyshot dead coyote. I Have tried Lead 2's, BB, 4 buck, 00 buck and some steel shots and that dead yote out performs them all. Cost a bit but worth it when they just drop dead insted of running off into the brush never to be seen again.

Last edited:
I had a friend of mine load up some Hevi 3.5/2.25/#2's that I am waiting to try out.

I would use the HD stuff or Hevi Shot.... I think you will get the best performance.

The last 2 coyotes I shot with a shotgun was when pheasant hunting one at a few feet another at 25 yds with bird shot lead 12ga of 1 1/4 oz 6 shot at 1330fps 3 3/4 dram in 2 3/4 inch shell. I would not go hunting with 6 shot for coyotes I would look hard at lead BB or 4 buck. I have shot cases of hevi-shot at ducks Bismouth & other non-toxic shot & a premium load of lead shot plated with copper is just as good as one can get. I never been able to tell the differance of the two on ducks just the price lead is less cost. I can not tell the differance in hevi-shot & plated lead shot........Just my 2 cents

I think the hd stuff is too solid and performs too much like steel. (I had to shot them multiple times way too often ). Dead coyote has been dubbed "wounded coyote" by some of the guys ive hunted with . We took this question to an expert that tests ammo for the government and they recommend good ole lead over anything else on the market. After trying almost everything I shoot 3.5 # 4 buck with great results

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttOriginally Posted By: getfoxyBlack CLoud is not suitable for coyotes. Its steel shot, the stuff is junk, If you cant afford the Hevi-Shot, get some #4 buck shot.

Wacked a yote with some BC 3" T's at 25 yards and it bounced off him. Never would beleive it if I wouldn't of done it myself. I would go with heavyshot dead coyote. I Have tried Lead 2's, BB, 4 buck, 00 buck and some steel shots and that dead yote out performs them all. Cost a bit but worth it when they just drop dead insted of running off into the brush never to be seen again.

Yes, someone here on PM helped me a few months ago and they said that steel just doesnt retain its energy.

There was a thread on here a while ago where someone did some pretty in depth patterning with different [beeep] and chokes. the google bar should take you to it

Back